Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 under sink water valve drip
Author: jeanne (CA)

the cold water valve under my kitchen sink drips constantly, whether the the supply hose is scewed on or not and whether the valve is turned on so that water comes out supplying the faucet above with cold water or even if the valve is turned off it constantlty drips cold water. Does the valve itself need a washer somewhere in there?

Re: under sink water valve drip
Author: packy (MA)

i think you are asking about a packing nut dripping but i'm not sure ??
this happens when a homeowner tries to convert the english language into plumbing terms.
so, are you asking about the nut right below the handle??
[www.bing.com]

No, I am asking about the valve under the sink that the hose, that supplies the water to the faucet of the sink above, screws on to. When this valve is turned on the faucet above has on and off control of the water supplied to it. When the valve is turned off the faucet above has no water. I was told that this water supply under the sink, that has on and off positions also is called a valve. Sorry if I am wrong in my use of this word, this whole thing is confusing enough I know, and thank you for caring and showing interest. Jeanne

Author: m & m (MD)

The old valve needs to be replaced with a new valve.

thanks for your positive sounding reply big grin

Hi, thanks for your positive sounding reply. It has taken so long to get one. Do you or anyone reading this have any suggestions on making this job as easy as possible? This job being replacing the cold water valve under the kitchen sink, of course. It seems to be an obvious one but it probably won't be. Thanks again, Jeanne

Edited 1 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Before you try to change anything, make positively sure WHERE the drip originates; usually one of two places: 1. Drip comes from the shaft that the handle is connected to. Underneath this handle (or knob) is a packing nut. If so, try to tighten that nut clockwise just a little. 2. Drip comes from where the base of the valve connects to the water pipe. In that case, it's best to replace the valve, and use pipe sealer compound (dope) IF it is a threaded connection. If it's a soldered fitting to copper pipe, call a plumber.

Edited 1 times.

Does anyone out there think that it could be washers or a washer inside the valve

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Yes, there could be a washer inside the valve, but I doubt that is the cause of water leaking under your sink, unless the stem packing was also bad. Again, look closely. EXACTLY where does the drip come from?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you can wipe down the valve with a paper towel, then snap a picture as the drip is half formed, we can tell you what the problem is, the best course of action to take, what parts are needed, and how to do it(or not do it).

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Do you have copper pipe and compression fittings? If so replacing the valve is simple as long as you have access to the main water valve to the home.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.