Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Apartment building
Author: Olaf (FL)

I'm looking into having an apartment complex/condo type structure built and would like to find out about
Pex line sizes. So here are the specs.

10 units per floor. What size Pex line should I have to supply the entire floor? (lets call it line A).
To tie the main line (line A) into the unit; What size pex should be used to connect the main line to the unit? (line cool smiley

I then want to split the main line (line cool smiley coming into the unit to the kitchen (line C) and the bathroom (line D).

line C only had the kitchen sink connected to it.
Line D would have the bathroom sink, toilet and shower connected to it.

I hope i've been able to explain myself clearly enough. Thanks in advance for any helpful responses. smiling smiley

Re: Apartment building
Author: hj (AZ)

You are pulling our leg, aren't you? A job of that magnitude requires a professional contractor and HE will, along with the building department, will determine ALL the pipe sizes, and possibly the pipe materials.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Unless it's in a Third World country, I'd assume you will need engineered drawings for a project of that scale. You type fast hj smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

He would DEFINITELY need more input than he could get from some Internet postings. If he needs input for the water lines, he probably cannot do the drains and vents either, which are the first things he has to install. Most building departments would NOT allow an "owner" to do his own mechanical work on a "commercial building".

Edited 1 times.

Thanks again for your quick and helpful remarks smiling smiley

Hi folks,

I'm not trying to do the work myself. I'm just trying to get a handle on pricing, and in order for me to
do that I need to know WHAT i'm pricing smiling smiley Yes there are folks who will handle the pricing, but I am concerned
about the padding of those prices so i'm trying to look into it myself. Please note that i'm not asking for costs or
pricing info.. that I am seeing is against the rules of this forum.. I am only asking about the sizes of the supply lines.
I will figure out the rest.

Thanks again for your quick and helpful remarks smiling smiley

Edited 2 times.

quote; I'm just trying to get a handle on pricing, and in order for me to
do that I need to know WHAT i'm pricing smiling smiley Yes there are folks who will handle the pricing, but I am concerned
about the padding of those prices so i'm trying to look into it myself.

NOTHING we could tell you will have ANY effect on their pricing. THEY will design their own system without ANY INPUT from you, and their pricing will also have NOTHING to do with you. Either you pay their prices, (and there will ALWAYS be "padding", because they have to consider that NO JOB ever goes exactly how it is planned), or you do not. I NEVER ask, or acknowledge, ANYTHING the customer tries to tell me about how I should install my piping, usually because he would be wrong anyway.

"NOTHING we could tell you will have ANY effect on their pricing."

Actually, if anyone could tell me about the sizes I am asking for. That would do the trick.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I don't know the building codes in your area, but in a commercial structure around here, especially multi-floor, you wouldn't be running Pex, and you would also have to have a fire sprinkler system. The size and scope of what is required can't be answered here. You need a licensed, bonded, and insured contractor to do the work, and I would recommend getting at least 3 estimates to get a good idea for your area.

thanks

Author: bernabeu (SC)

John Jacob Astor once said (albeit referring to boats):

If you need to ask, you can't afford it.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

What makes you think that ANY contractor doing the job would use the same sizes and amounts of material that you would come up with, or are you going to tell him HOW to do his job?

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there? I visualizd him collecting all the cut off pieces of PEX and telling the contractor, "I did not figure these in when I calculated the quantities", or "you didn't use these", so I want a credit for them".

Edited 2 times.

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

You need to hire an engineer to design the system, after that a material takeoff can be done. There is no way for anyone here to size anything without a set of prints and allot more info.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.