Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Vent Pipe Question
Author: michellemcarroll (SC)

I originally posted a question about the builder of my new home moving one of my plumbing vent pipes to add it to the vent stack so that I only had one protrusion from the roof. Now I have a follow up question about vent sizes.

Our drainage pipe for our two story home is 3 inches. We have laundry, kitchen sink, half bath (sink and toilet), master bath (separate tub and shower, toilet, and double sinks) and guest bath (double sink, combined shower/tub, toliet). There is a 2 inch vent stack, as that stack reaches the roof two more 2 inch vents connect in at an angle (I know one is the guest bath and I believe the second connection is the master). The vent coming out of the roof is 2 inches. I know now that it is fine to combine vents, but now I'm severely concerned about the vent stack only being 2 inches. I'm confused when I read the IRC on whether the total fixtures is for each vent connected into the stack, or looking at every fixture unit in the entire home being on one stack? I'm worried about drainage issues and curious if I'm over complicating it. I have asked 3 different plumbers and two different inspectors and I get different answers from all of them.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Vent Pipe Question
Author: steve (CA)

Some codes require a full size vent, 3" in your case, protrude through the roof, others state the combined area of all the vents protruding through the roof shall equal or exceed the area of the main drain pipe. Have you contacted your plumbing inspector and see what he/she says is required?

When we contacted the county inspector (who had not reinspected the home prior to drywall starting today) he stated 2 inches was more than sufficient. Everything I've read is how you stated and contradicts his statement. This is my reason for continuing research.

Author: packy (MA)

that would not pass MA stringent plumbing code but then not much in the rest of the US would pass either.
having said that, 2 inch has enough air running thru it to properly vent quite a few fixtures.
given that you are in a single family residence and the chance of everything being flushed at once is very remote, you should be fine.
you should ask the plumber to tell you the location of any and all AAV's so will know where they are for future replacement (should they need it)..
AAV = automatic air admitance valve/s.

Author: hj (AZ)

What size is the pipe through the roof? If it is 3" than it should satisfy ALL the requirements, if it is 2", then it does not.

It is 2". Does it make a difference that the kitchen sink and dishwasher are not vented through the roof because they are in an island?

Author: hj (AZ)

No. All that matters is the size of the vent through the roof and HOW the smaller vents connect to it. In other words, they CANNOT just put a 3x2 reducer on the line before it goes through the roof and say "Now it is legal".

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

South Carolina is under UPC code. The 2" vent is perfectly fine, functionally and code compliant.

Can someone explain to me why different codes vary so widely? Originally I thought it was just commercial public use vs private residential but I'm confused why what is okay in SC wouldn't be okay in, say, Georgia? I know up north vents call to be larger I believe because of ice and snow, but other than that I'm confused.

Author: packy (MA)

michelle, i wish i had an answer for you but i don't.
here in massachusetts we MUST use copper or cast iron for drains in commercial applications.
right next door to us, new hampshire allows PVC for commercial applications.
so, 2 neighboring towns on the state line ( say seabrook NH and salisbury MA) can have a small restaurant right next to eachother. one is in MA, next door is in NH.
the restaurant in MA must have copper or cast iron drains while the restaurant in NH can have PVC drains.
no one who eats in the NH restaurant has contacted the bubonic plague.
good luck and enjoy your new home..

Author: Caduceus (PA)

One of many reasons I disagree with UPC guidelines and regulations. UPC used to be the foundation for plumbing codes across the US, but now it seems to have strayed too far from the important basics of plumbing.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.