Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What are these big holes for?
Author: sum (FL)

I noticed they dug a big hole 4'X4'X4' deep along the sidewalk where the water meters are. Some contractor came by and dug this big hole in front of every OTHER house, then put cones around it.

I noticed the holes are next to the water meter, but it's almost a foot or more deeper than the bottom of the water meter box.

Any idea what they are trying to do?

I wasn't there when they were doing it so no way to ask them.

I wonder if they are changing out the water meters? But if so why every other house? The galvanized line sure look very bad. But then again it could be something totally unrelated it could be the power company burying new power poles.

Edited 1 times.

Re: What are these big holes for?
Author: m & m (MD)

Next week you'll probably see horizontal boring equipment installing some type of utility service.

can i slip a $50 to the operator to bore a line from the meter to my stutoff?

Author: hj (AZ)

Maybe they are missile silos. No way to look at a hole in the ground and tell you what it is going to be used for.

Those are going to be very shallow missile silos then.

But you can see the meter box and the badly corroded water pipes - what else could it be?

Shallow missile silos for very small missiles, (possibly installed by UPS to shoot down FedEx delivery drones).

Edited 1 times.

Any danger of those 6" bury water lines freezing ever?wink

In South Florida we are probably safe until the next ice age...

How far can those horizontal bore machine go?

Edited 1 times.

Judging by the rack of bore rods that they haul with them, I'd think it's in the hundreds of feet.

In FLORIDA, probably not.

They need bigger holes than that and they can go a long ways, even through your sewer lines if they get in the way.

After they bore a hole thru the sewer pipe, the gas line gets installed thru it. Then the h/o calls to have their stoppage cleared. The sewer snake cuts thru the new gas pipe. The end.

Exactly, although the one I encountered was a large telephone cable through the sewer. Fortunately it had an metal casing so my sewer cutter was just "refused" without damaging it.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Several years back we had 3 guys get called to different houses on the same street. First guy was inside trying to clear the line, second guy showed up and didn't think much of it, third guy thought maybe the city main was backing up, but it wasn't, so he figured it was just yearly call outs for root infestations. Second guy got his cable stuck and rolled over in the line and called dispatch, they said to go ask one of the other 2 for help, first guy couldn't get through the line but it had drained, and third guy stopped to help the second guy. Another person was in the area doing camera work and stopped by and scoped the 1st line and it looked like a complete mess of wires. The first guy had got through whatever protective covering is on the line and cut apart a brand new fiber optic line that was 2-3 days old. All the houses on the block had been built at the same time by the same builder with the same plans and the sewer lines were at the same height and the boring hit at least 9 houses on the same street. The telecom company tried to charge our company for damages to their fiber that they had to pull and replace.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

That's easy. People don't like it when the Giant Cockroaches you folks in Florida call Palmetto bugs sneak into to their house looking for a drink of water, so the public utility commission dug out these water "traps" to catch the little buggers in. When they get full, they cap it with concrete. Problem solved. cool

haha Fixitangel our palmetto bugs aren't THIS BIG, this looks like teenage mutant ninja cockroaches.

ours are black and maybe bigger than those.

In AZ, they're called scorpions.

No, I think they eat scorpions. Their main purpose in life is to scare the heck out of people at night.

OK the answer is here.

Too bad it wasn't to replace the water line. I was hoping that would be the case.

Turns out it was the power company, they are putting up new concrete poles to replace the old wood poles. I am not so sure it's a good thing to have the new pole be right between two water meters.

WHY?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

tropical storm/hurricane force winds

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.