Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 hose water down roof vent
Author: gmum (IL)

I was cleaning gutters and thought I would stick a hose down the vents on the roof. Theres the main, which is 3 or 4" and a 2" one for a kitchen.

I could let the hose run for 5 minutes on the large one, no water backing up.

The smaller one quickly filled with water. I got my higher pressure nozzle and it quickly cleared. At that point I could run water for the same 5 minutes without backup.

So obviously I cleared an obstruction.

But my questions...

Is it necessary to do this periodically? Any harm in this?

also

How long would it take for a say 15' piece of 2" pipe to fill? In otherwords, can I be confident after the amount of time I let the water run that I no longer have an obstruction?

Re: hose water down roof vent
Author: KCRoto (MO)

The only time you would see anything from the roof is if the obstruction was above any other vent connection, and it would have to be a nearly complete blockage or you won't see anything at all.

Author: steve (CA)

15' of 2" pipe holds almost 10 gallons of water. The rate of water from your hose depends on the pressure and hose diameter and length.

100' of 3/4" hose @ 70psi for 5 minutes.

@60 psi that's 22 gallons per minute I think....

however, my high pressure nozzle likely skunks up the whole equation...

heres one for paranoia....

say the pipe (galvanized) was clogged. Me shooting water down when it overfilled caused pressure enough to break the wall of the pipe.... shooting water inside the attic or wall.

After I was able to flow water down the thing for 5 minutes, do you think I would have seen that water inside the house by now?

Author: steve (CA)

After 5 minutes, it might be 50-75 gallons, so I think it would have appeared.

I have seen water leak from a drain from the 2nd floor to the crawlspace. A galvanized to cast 1.5" line corroded away at the main stack and it ran straight down the pipe chase.

thanks. It bothered me enough to get in the attic and check for moisture. I shimmied myself practically into the soffits! No moisture that I see.

However, I got a better look at the pipe. Its actually 1.5 galvanized. It drops from the roof penetration about a foot and then has a street 90 connected to another 90 before going vertical inside a wall. It looks to be impossible to fit a saw in there to cut off the 90.

Does that sound pretty bad to you?

Street 90 into 90 is probably proned to clog correct?

On a roof vent? Only if a squirrel is helping you out. It is more likely to corrode shut if you can keep debris out.

rain water alone is enough to corrode it closed? Its been in service I say almost 60 years.... do you think that's the issue why it was clogged? (I didn't visually see any leaves, seeds or debris of course).

The exterior of the fittings looked excellent.... no burrs, barnacles or deep rust spots.

Seeing that the street90/90 configuration is quite an obstruction for a snake, is it risky to be poking at the inside of those old galvanized fittings with a manual snake? Is poking a hole in the thing a real possibility?

Edited 5 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.