Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bleeder cap leak
Author: scalliwag (VT)

The bleeeder cap (small brass cap) that you put back on the water shut off after the winter ends, is leaking. Any suggestions ? The water sprays out of the little hole in the side of the cap (why does it even have this hole?)

Re: Bleeder cap leak
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I wouldn't use that cap unless I absolutely had to, but since it is leaking, take it off and cut a piece of rubber to fit inside the cap and fill the entire space, perhaps a pencil eraser in a pinch. The hole is so that it can drain/admit air and not have to remove the cap and lose the gasket inside.

Edited 1 times.

Author: scalliwag (VT)

Thanks I will try that
I already tried expoxy to block the hole but that didnt hold

what I don't understand is that there is a cap on another water cut off (the hot) that works just fine, right next to the one that isnt working (the cold). That cap that works doesn't have anything blocking the hole and no water comes out. I've tried that "good" cap on the problem water cut off site, and it also leaks. So I'm thinking the thread on the problem one could be the problem - stopping me from tightening it up all the way.

But I've scrubbed the thread with a wire brush about five times now and it still leaks out of that hole. Sprays me right in the face everytime. It was funny the first time. Now Im getting mad.

does you know of a product I can spray on the threads to clear them in case that's the problem ?

Author: packy (MA)

take a couple of inches of teflon tape and keep folding it up until it forms a tiny flat ball shape. put that inside the cap and screw it back on.
you may have messed up the threads with the epoxy.
if you get all the water out and manage to file the hole really clean, you can solder it shut.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Under the cap is basically just a cone with a hole on top that lets the water out. The threads are tapered, so the straight threading on the cap provides more resistance than the little hole when it is loosened, and the water leaks out. The seal is formed on the inside of the top of the cap, the hole is just decoration when it comes to stopping the dripping; much akin to a shower stem letting water past and the shower head drips.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.