Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water pressure problem
Author: Dos522 (CT)

Hello all,
I own a raised ranch in Connecticut that's connected to it's own private well. I've always had low water pressure but never really thought anything else about it. We have recently finally furnished the first floor that has a laundry/half bathroom and we're down there more often now. I've noticed that when someone flushes the toilet on the first floor, if you try then to use a faucet or other water source on the second floor you get nothing. No drip, drop, or trickle of water. The house was built in 1980, and I'm thinking the original well pump and pressure tank are still being used. Could they be the reason why this happens? It's very inconvenient when your in the shower upstairs and then someone else turns the water on somewhere and you get either a trickle of cold water, or nothing at all.

Other info I thought might be important:
-1 yr old peerless boiler
-brand new Water softener due to hard water from well
-No water heater

Any and all help is appreciated,
Angel

Re: water pressure problem
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It's more of a volume issue than pressure. It sounds like there is a restriction in the piping system. Maybe a clogged water filter, a faulty valve, etc.
You might try putting the softner in bypass mode and see if that makes a difference.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I have seen a dirty whole house filter, bad pressure tank, and the ice maker kicking on cause the nearly the same problem. The ice maker was closer to the main and the shower dropped to a drip. A clean filter and a new pressure tank took care of everything.

Author: m & m (MD)

Bypass any and all filtration equipment and check results.

Thanks for the help. thumbs
Author: Dos522 (CT)

I don't currently have a whole house filter, but I will bypass the water softener and see what happens. Thanks for the help. I also called my plumber and he stated that another possibility could be that air might need to be added to the pressure tank, does that make sense?

On a side note, he's also going to come out and fix this problem [www.plbg.com]

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.