Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaky Kohler toilet at base
Author: nickiegeorge (IA)

I recently discovered that my Kohler Wellworth Northline Barrington toilet is leaking at the base. After removing the toilet and placing it on sawhorses, I plugged and filled the bowl with water. After about 8 or 10 minutes, drips started to show up on the floor.
After talking to Kohler about my experience they recommended replacing the seal between the tank and the bowl with a part #GP51487 to fix the problem. My only concern is that the leak showed up with only the bowl full of water. Would the new seal be an effective fix or is something else going on? The tank was not filled and so I'm wondering if the seal between tank and bowl would be a solution? Any trouble shooting advice would be appreciated.

Re: Leaky Kohler toilet at base
Author: packy (MA)

did you get down on the floor and look up at the bottom of the bowl to see where the drips were coming from?

Author: m & m (MD)

Start with a completely desert dry tank and repeat your experiment. As Packy states, you have to get under the sawhorses and look up at the underside of the bowl. You are looking for the source of the leak so you will have to find the leak path, and dry it as you follow the path to the source. It may take you to a sandhole in the china casting. Usually, a sandhole in a toilet bowl will result in a noticed lowered water line in the bowl during periods of non-use.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Also, adding food coloring to the water will help a lot. It may be that whatever you plugged the toilet with simply got saturated and is letting water past, but colored water is easier to trace.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.