Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Timer with float switch
Author: ben-marko (CA)

Hello - I am setting up a gray water barrel and want the barrel to empty when it gets 2/3 full. So I thought I would set up a float switch 2/3 of the way up the inside, and connected to a 12V Flojet pump (I already had both, I figured I would use them for this project). I would like the water level to trigger the float switch and then drain the barrel; the problem I have is the pump needs to stay on until the barrel is empty (or nearly empty). Without some sort of means to keep the pump operating, it will shut off the second the float switch drops and cuts the circuit, and the barrel will never fully empty.

Does anyone know of a way I can keep the pump working long enough to ensure the barrel drains most of its contents?

Re: Timer with float switch
Author: steve (CA)

What kind of switch are you using? A tethered switch should give you the most adjustability.

I'm looking for a timer that I could wire in and keep the pump operating as long as it took to empty the barrel.

[www.ipernity.com]

ben-marko

Joshua Tree, California
USA

Edited 2 times.

Do you know approx. how long the pump will need to run, to empty the barrel? There are "delay on break" relays available. Some have fixed delays and others are adjustable.

Edited 1 times.

It looks like that is what I need. From what I can find on the internet, I would need to set it with an "interval on" setting.

I think I found one:

[www.amazingshop.us]

Edited 1 times.

I believe what you posted is just a timer. This link is what you would want. This relay device gets 12v all the time and uses 12v from the float switch as a trigger for the timer. When the float switch closes the circuit, the relay closes, providing power for the pump. When the float circuit opens, the timing circuit in the relay starts and keeps the pump running for the chosen duration , then shuts off. When the float again closes the circuit, the sequence repeats.

[www.airotronics.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

You need a float switch which has an adjustable range, such as a tethered switch, although there is a way to use TWO of your switches and a "holding relay" to operate the pump.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

A timer is NOT the way to go. If you are going to do it that way you need something that measures the "volume" because the pump will NEVER take the same amount of time to empty the bucket. There are many other ways to accomplish it, without having to worry about pumping the pit dry and ruining the pump.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.