Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 SaniFlo Macerator Question
Author: Did it again (MA)

I had my plumber install my Saniflo best pro and he used 3/4 pipe which is fine, although the sani best can handle 1 inch. I only have a sink and toilet so the plumber said the ¾ is fine since I do not have a shower hooked up to it.
My real question is on the ¾ discharge pipe coming from the macerator pump and going into the drain. The instructions say it is not recommended to use regular 90’s but to use a long sweep or two 45’s to make a 90. I have 4 regular 90 degree elbows in the discharge line. The plumber said he has installed these like this and he has not had a problem but did say he would switch them out if I want. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Re: SaniFlo Macerator Question
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I would put in the larger 1" pipe. Less resistance to flow will extend the pump life.

thx what is your thought on the 45's versus 90's that he installed

Author: packy (MA)

what did the plumbing inspector say? did he/she pass the job?

inspector has not been out yet, it is only roughed. Plumber says there it is up to code and I beleive it is up to code. I am more worried about the warranty and life of the macerator/pump when the instructions say not to use 90 degree. I tried to call Saniflo today but they were closed at 5. The plumber said he would replace it if i want. Again he said he installs them with 90's and has never had an issue. I was just wondering your thoguhts.

Author: m & m (MD)

I have only used 3/4" discharge on the Saniflo but I do install double 45's instead of 90's.

Author: cvcman (NY)

I used 1" on mine for the 6ft vertical lift...two 45's then into 1-1/2" horix. to the soil pipe...mine is a Saniflo sanicompact with sink hooked into it

in MA, an inspection is required on the rough and at the finish.

Packy my question has nothing to do with asking about inspection. I KNOW it needs an inspection. And YES the plumber will schedule the inspection. I was not asking whether an inspection is needed. I hired a plumber where I beleive i could have done a better job. And Yes in MASS! I was going to install 1 inch. He installed 3/4. I READ the manual that clearly states to use two 45's and NOT 90's and yet the plumber used 90's. Did he do it by code, most likely i am sure he did and YES the inspection will tell me if it is to code. What the inspection will NOT tell me is if it is the best installation application. I appreciate the reply but if it does not answer the question why bother answering with an unrelated reply.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

2 45's will provide less resistance to flow, but won't provide as much benefit as increasing the pipe diameter to 1". If the manufacturer wants 45's instead of 90's, repipe it and take out the 90's. Your plumber said he would comply, fully knowing that he didn't install it according to the instructions and that is on him. If it bothers you this much, you shouldn't have let him put in the 90's in the first place and insisted on the 45's, or hired a different plumber.

Author: steve (CA)

If the plumber didn't follow manufacturer's instructions, then it's probably not code compliant. There is probably a section in the Mass. Plbg Code stating that manufacturer's instructions shall be followed.

Thanks for all your replies applause

I was not here when it was installed. I did not think I had to explain to the plumber how to install the unit. I told him from the beginning i wanted the 1 inch as well but he installed 3/4. I spoke to Sani-flo and they said the 3/4 is fine fro my application. They did say the 90's have to replaced. In any case, the plumber said he would replace. I would rather have it done sooner than later. I do not want to wait for the inspector to find it. Thanks for all your replies and SAniflo was great to speak with. Great customer support. Now I just need to get the plumber back out to my house.

Edited 1 times.

the reply is not unrelated.
the mass code states that any fixture must be installed so that it performs as intended. (may not be worded exactly)
so clearly, the manufacturer's recommendation is to have 1 inch pipe installed so the fixture will perform as intended.
will it work with 3/4 inch piped with 90's ? probably..
will it perform as the manufacture intended ? probably not.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.