Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 desolder technique and nearby joints question
Author: ddbbp (KS)

I have a coupling I need to remove from a 1/2" stub.

The joint on the other end of the stub is only 2-3" away.

If I wrap that other joint with a wet towel, will I successfully be able to desolder the coupling and be able to reuse that end with a new coupling?

I always have bad luck with desoldering and usually have to cut again. In this case, recutting means redoing a significant portion.

Whats the best technique for desoldering in general?
Whats the best technique for soldering directly next to other joints without disturbing them?

Re: desolder technique and nearby joints question
Author: packy (MA)

your question requires a two part answer.
unsoldering a coupling depends greatly on the type of solder that was used.
the old 50/50 solder or the newer 95/5 type.
50/50 comes apart so much easier.
wraping a wet rag around a neighboring joint is always a good idea for either type solder.
anyway, i find a lower heat for 95/5 works better. slow but sure because it will quickly go from the right temperature to being overheated. once it is overheated, forgetaboutit.
patience...
lastly, it must be absolutely dry to work best. a shop vac helps to suck out any water laying in the pipe.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You can also clamp a pair of vice grips by the second fitting to help act as a heat sink for the heat traveling down the pipe.

Author: ddbbp (KS)

come to think of it, perhaps that's part of my problem with desoldering. Say im holding the torch in one hand and grasping the fitting I want to remove with a pair of pliers with the other hand getting ready to pull it apart.

Are the pliers in that case acting as a heat sink?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Yes they are. Heat it and only grab it with the pliers as you are removing it or the metal of the pliers suck the heat out of the fitting.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.