Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet Overflows from the bottom of the toilet, PLEASE HELP!! Thanks so much!!!!
Author: AdamWest (NC)

Hi, so I'm renting a house with my fiance. Never owned home before and I have no plumbing experience what so ever. If anyone can help before this costs us money it would be so VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

So, I'm in the bathroom Yesterday and the toilet just begins flooding water in to the floor from under the toilet. The water was coming from the crack between the bottom of the toilet and the floor.

There was a gurgling sound coming from the bowl prior to the water flooding out, and also from the kitchen sink. The water flooded prob about 3 gallons in to the floor and then stopped...this was yesterday at about 11am....it just did it again Today at about 3:30PM and again, doesn't seem to be triggered by anything.

My landlord says that if it's a clog or something of that nature then we're responsible for paying for the work. If it's the pipes or the result of faulty components, then it will be his responsibility. Is this standard? We pay $1,500 a month for a 1600 sq/ft house in a nice neighborhood in Charlotte, NC. I don't feel like plumbing issues should be our responsibility, but I don't know what's considered typical?

Anyone with any advise on how to fix it or what's reasonable to pay someone to fix it would be so VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! In return, I can offer Real Estate advise or Poker advise. I play both for a living and they're about the only things I'm considered an "expert" of any kind at.

Thanks!!!!

Adam West

Re: Toilet Overflows from the bottom of the toilet, PLEASE HELP!! Thanks so much!!!!
Author: Aerator (AZ)

Chances are good that a blockage down the line is part of the problem; however, the toilet itself should also be re-seated and the flooring and subfloor should be inspected for damage. I have seen similar problems caused by a pine tree in a clients front yard. In their case, this had been going on so long that the subfloor was damaged and the floor had to be replaced. Have the line run first and the toilet wax ring replaced.

Re: Toilet Overflows from the bottom of the toilet, PLEASE HELP!! Thanks so much!!!!
Author: packy (MA)

offer to pay half of the drain cleaning cost.
resetting the toilet is the owners responsibility.

Thank you sooooo much!! I really appreciate your help!!! clap

Thank you sooooo much!! I really appreciate your help!!! I will do exactly what you said smiling smiley

Would u think this type of stuff is the responsibility of the tenant or the owner? We rent this house from a man who buys/re-models and rents these homes.

Thanks so much!!!

Edited 1 times.

Packy:
That seems reasonable. Thanks so much!!

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Consider taking a video of the repair process and if you use a licensed plumber, make sure you document their comments regarding the cause.

We are not part of your lease/rent agreement with your landlord and not privy to the terms you signed. The owner of the property could easily purchase property with defects and have YOU pay for the repairs. You won't know for sure unless you video and document the issue.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.