Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rough plumbing has no vent
Author: supashaun (CO)

I posted earlier in the week about some rough plumbing under the structural floor. I got under the plywood and found out there is no vent in the rough plumbing. I attached some pictures. The 1st picture is the rough plumbing and all 3 drains hook directly up to the main sewer line that goes to the street. The p trap in rough plumbing is a shower? Do any of them need a vent? The 2nd picture shows the main sewer line going in a Y. Going right in the second picture goes to the rough plumbing. Going left goes to the other side of the basement that has all the plumbing for the whole house. The pipe going up in the 3rd picture services the downstairs half bath and the p trape is for a drain for the water heater and furnace and a pvc pipe continues to the other side of the basement with a pipe going up into the wall for the master bathroom, kitchen, and laundry. I would like to put a bathroom on that same far side of the basement as far left (in 3rd picture but can't see all the way) that services the master bathroom, kitchen, and laundry. Can it be done?

1. Does the rough plumbing need a vent? I assume so but why isn't it there?
2. Can I hook up plumbing for a basement bathroom on the main sewer line that also connects to the master bathroom pipes?

I'm hoping I made this clear so someone that can help will understand. Is more information/pictures needed? Thanks for any help.

Re: Rough plumbing has no vent
Author: packy (MA)

the first picture shows a trap and a vent for that trap. i can't really see too much more.
that vent may vent the toilet as well? it can be used the drain a lav and will then be a wet vent for the shower.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

if you can make a drawing of your plumbing plan with drain, vents and sizing then any code violations usually can be seen by journeyman plumbers. current shower set up looks good with trap and vent.

Author: hj (AZ)

Vents for "rough plumbing" would be ABOVE the floor, not below it, so they have not been installed yet.

Doug E., thanks for that info thumbs

Doug E., thanks for that info. I will try and get something drawn up.

So I just figured out from google and youtube that I have to use the vent from the second pipe which would be the sink. Correct? My question is when I build a vent from the sink pipe, where do I take it? I can't take it up through to the roof, or can I? Or do I go up into the ceiling of the basement and tie it into another vent that already goes into the roof?

Thanks

Edited 2 times.

either is acceptable.

Thanks Packy!

How do I find out what pipe is a vent? Does it matter how many sinks, toilets, and showers it services?

it is difficult to determine if a pipe is a drain or a vent if you can not trace it.
obviously if it is in a wall or in a ceiling that is above the highest fixture in the house, it is a vent.
if it is in a wall or ceiling and you have bathroom/s above, it could be a drain for something or it could be a vent for something below ????
there are limitations on fixures tied into a vent. i would not worry about overloading a vent in a single family home.

As long as it is REALLY a vent, and not a drain line.

If the pipe connects to a sink or other fixture in the basement, it is probably a vent, otherwise it is more likely to be a drain line.

Well, I thought I was getting somewhere. Although I've learned a lot with starring at the pipes, youtube, google, and bugging you guys. I checked all the pipes in the basement and they are all drain lines.

How in the world do I make a vent pipe?

Author: sharp1 (IL)

If you see a stub pipe pointing down from the basement ceiling with a cap glued on it, it means the contractor left a "future vent" for the basement rough-in. It would be under an upstairs bathroom or kitchen probably.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

I suggest you find a local plumber to run vents, drains, and waters.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.