Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 kohler devonshire diverter trim
Author: mikedel28 (NY)

Hi-
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the kohler devonshire 2-3 way transfer valve trim. My rough in depth is good. I've tried all the valve stem adaptors. The shortest one does not engage the handle when I tighten it up. The longest one is too long. The medium one engages the handle ok, but when I thread the bonnet onto the hub, it does not tighten enough to secure the faceplate to the wall..there is about an 1/8" gap. Even without installing a valve stem adaptor, I still get the 1/8" gap. The thing that gets me is that regardless of where the valve is in the wall, the plate would still be resting on top the tile, and the hub would still be sticking out the same. After looking at it for a while, I realized the tile guy may have cut his hole too large, so the plate assembly that screws to the valve body is flush with the tile and not sitting on top, hence the small gap I am getting.

Does that sound right? I don't want to call out the tile guy if I'm not positive. This job took place a year ago for a friend of mine, and I was over there doing another job today and revisited the issue end of day. For now the faceplate is siliconed in place....I've since put in a number of these over the past year and had no issues, but I do remember the holes in the tile being smaller so that the faceplate rests on top of tile not flush.

Thanks!
-Mike

Re: kohler devonshire diverter trim
Author: steve (CA)

I'm confused. You state the trim won't contact the tile, there's an eighth inch gap, but the hole might be too big and the flange is flush? The hole should be 2 7/8" to 3 1/8" in diameter.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the tile was installed a year ago, and the trim hasn't been put on till now, I wouldn't expect the tile guy to do much. You may be able to get a remodel cover plate to cover the extra large hole if you don't want to rip out the tile and replace a portion. Hopefully there is some leftover to match it up.

Author: packy (MA)

1 800 4KOHLER.

Author: mikedel28 (NY)

the trim kit has a plate assembly with a gasket that screws to the valve body before the trim cover plate screws on with the handle. Kohler was not much help. They told me the valve might be too far out, but that is not possible because I pulled the valve stem adaptor out so there is nothing to prevent the handle from screwing on tight, and the handle still won't screw on tight to the cover plate. Who knows. for a test we also screwed the plate assembly to a piece of plywood, then tried to put the trim on and it still does not fit tight. Could the threads be bad on the handle?

Author: hj (AZ)

That would NOT be my first diagnosis, but since we are not there to try it ourselves, telling you the solution would be very difficult.

Author: handyman92130 (CA)

Hi Mike, I'm having the same issue as you have described. Wondering if you ever figured it out? I'm intending to build up the shoulder of the white plastic "hub" about 1/8" to get the thing to snug down. Kohler 2nd level tech support (Debbie) was of no help. Please email me direct if you have any advice. handyman92130@gmail.com

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.