Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replacing Brass Trap to Lead Pipe
Author: Melisa (MO)

I'm new to this forum and a novice when it comes to plumbing. I will be calling a residential plumber about my situation but wanted the advice from those knowledgeable on this forum, before I do.

I inherited an old house from my Mom, it had been built in the early 30's. Most (not all) of the plumbing had been replaced with copper or pvc (or some other appropriate plastic). In my late mother's bathroom, however, she has a pedestal sink with a brass trap that connects to the tile wall. The trap started leaking; a friend - who is an apprenctice commercial plumber - looked at the situation and said the trap was old and leaking water onto the floor. He did not have the expertise to correct my problem. He did say, however, that the trap was made out of brass and that it needs to be replaced and "lead wiped" in - he thought the pipe behind the wall was proably lead.

I'll try and attach photographs of the trap and wall to this post.

I'm on a limited budget and would prefer not rehabbing the bathroom to fix this problem, if possible. In other words, I'm sure a plumber can bust through the tile wall, fix or remove or replace the drainage pipe in the wall, etc., correct the problem, and then force me to hire someone to rebuild the wall.

I'm hoping that it is possible for a new brass trap to replace the old one and that it could be "lead wiped" in.

Can anyone tell me if that's feasible? If not, could a new brass trap be retrofitted to part of the pipe coming out of the wall, and then a new owner down the line rehab the bathroom to his liking?

In sum, all I'm trying to do is to replace the trap so that water doesn't leak onto the floor and drains properly into the wall pipe.

Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Re: Replacing Brass Trap to Lead Pipe
Author: hj (AZ)

quote; he thought the pipe behind the wall was proably lead.

What do you mean "he thinks"? It either is or is not and THAT determines how you fix it. I have never heard of a "commercial apprentice", unless that means he only works on "commercial structures" and has no idea how to fix residential stuff.

When I called him after reading your response, he did say it was a lead pipe. He also told me that he only works on commercial structures and that he doesn't have any experience in "lead wiping" in brass p-traps to lead pipes.

Remember, I'm only going by what he told me. How he knows it's lead, I have no idea. I tried to load the photographs but had difficulty doing so. If anyone wants to shoot me an e-mail I'm happy to send them the photographs.

Again any advice would be appreciated.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

bullsnark@gmail.com

We don't have your e-mail, only the forum support people can access that information; we as users cannot.

If it is lead, then you may NEVER find a plumber who can fix it, unless he is 70+ years old. And, even then, I am not sure that I would want the hassle to do it.

Edited 1 times.

My e-mail address is:

Melisa123@aol.com.

Is the only solution to break through the tile wall?

Author: packy (MA)

i'm in that category but i wouldn't even know where to start. i've never done nor even seen a lead joint wiped..

You haven't? I thought you were older than that. However, wiping a trap into a lead lavatory waste also predates me. That is more of a 20s or 30s thing.

Author: steve_g (CA)

Please post some images:

[www.plbg.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.