Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need to boost pressure AND volume in my home
Author: Jim7145 (Non-US)

I hope you guys can give me some advice b/c I’m finding it difficult to get the straight dope on my problem on the web.

The situation:
I have low water volume coming into my home. Believe it or not, my 35 year old home was constructed with a HALF INCH water main. I couldn’t believe it either. The city has just finished replacing the mains in the street, and so I saw it from the curb box out. They wanted $5,000 to trench about 30 feet and replace the existing main. I simply did not have that kind of dough to put up.

What I want to do is increase the water volume to the house.

The static pressure is 50 PSI and the current flow rate (I measured using a bucket at the source) is 3 GPM.

The house is piped out in ½”. I can repipe to ¾ or even 1” PEX with no problem, but my problem is the low flow.

Initially I was just going to get an Amtrol pressure pump system, but when I checked the specs online, they need a minimum of 10GPM for their device to work. Argh.

So here’s my plan:
I’ll get a 40-50 Gal tank to use as a holding tank and put a pressure booster pump inline to get the pressure up to about 65 PSI. Yeah, 50 PSI’s okay, but 60-70 feels sooo good! LOL

My questions:
1. Is this a proper fix for the problem? Replacing the main isn’t feasible financially.
2. I intend the schematic to be Main Inlet >>Holding Tank --> Pressure pump --> household supply

Thanks for your advice!

Jim

Re: Need to boost pressure AND volume in my home
Author: hj (AZ)

Maybe you should get a price from someone who is NOT your municipal water supplier, because a larger line is the ONLY permanent solution. Everything else is just putting a BandAid on a broken leg.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Are you saying they left 1/2" from the street main to your water meter?

Author: Jim7145 (Non-US)

Sorry, my bad: the answer is yeah: from the street to my meter's a half inch. It's either 3/4 K or 1" from the main to the curb box.

Now, if someone could give me advice on my plan, or if not tell me where I went wrong I'd appreciate it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Only 30 ft. from meter to house?- I'd have had it hand dug by now and be done with it. Unless you're near the arctic circle and it's buried 10 ft. deep.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I think I would have the utilities marked and have another company come replace the line. Get bids from 2 sources at least unless you already have someone qualified and capable able to do the work. I think the utility company is awfully high compared to prices around here.

Author: steve_g (CA)

If I could get $5K for a water service, I wouldn't bother doing anything else.

Author: hj (AZ)

Like the guy said, "You won't replace many at that price", to which he replied, " I don't need to replace MANY, I just need to replace one".

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.