Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mold/Insect droppings behind shower panels?
Author: ahbazed (AZ)

I noticed I needed to re-caulk the tub/shower in the bathroom (purchased this house 5 months ago). When i pulled the old caulk I came across a decent amount of moisture and a black pasty substance (first image). I had some concerns about mold buildup but scraped and scrubbed as much as I could out then "flushed" by pouring a cup of water down the shower wall to create a vacuum and pull out additional debris. When I did this, another substance came out that appears to be droppings of some kind (second image).
Any thoughts on what I need to do? My gut says I need to pull the wall boards off and see what's happening behind them, but with a baby due in three weeks, NOBODY wants to create a huge mess and headache.

Re: Mold/Insect droppings behind shower panels?
Author: steve (CA)

It looks like termite frass(poop) to me. Was a termite/pest inspection done before purchase? I would save the droppings and show them to a pest control inspector(if an inspection was done, I would contact them first).

Thanks for your input. cool
Author: ahbazed (AZ)

Yes - a termite check was done before the sale where no termites were found - but - there is a history of termites and treatment at the house. We have a warranty from the treatment that I will follow up on in the morning. Thanks for your input.
On a further note, I contacted the home inspector that I used prior to the sale for his thoughts and he suggested that the matter may be cricket poop and because of our dryness (Arizona), a solution may be to clean, dry and properly caulk so no additional water can get in. His thoughts were that any leftover moisture would soon dry up as long as no new water is allowed in.
I'm concerned about simply "covering it up and hoping nothing bigger is wrong"... I'd feel much better knowing there's nothing growing behind those walls that will come back to haunt us in the long run.

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

my inclination is to open up the walls and start from scratch.
yeah, there is a possibility the home inspector is correct. BUT, he could be wrong as well..

Author: JCFlax (NJ)

Termites are kind of pest which are quite difficult to eradicate. Even after trying different household methods, there is a chance of having them back.

Author: AlishaHowe (CA)

Yes, I agree with @JCFlax (NJ). Termites are pest which are very difficult to exterminate. I think an Integrated Pest Management approach for a safe and effective termite extermination is needed. You should consult a professional termite control expert in your local area who will help you to formulate an effective termite pest prevention strategy.
You can take some advice or tips from other pest control experts.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Gregschwartz (IL)

Deleted..

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.