Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can't remove faucet from sink - stubborn nut URGENT
Author: tbenson1215 (CT)

So a few days ago I noticed that my kitchen sink was leaking from the top. It's old, so I decided it's time to replace the faucet. I bought everything I need and got to work. But when I got to the point where I remove the faucet itself, I got stuck. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me get the nut off that's holding the tube from the sprayer to the bottom of the faucet. Tried some liquid wrench, no avail. I have no idea what brand this is and it's pretty old. I took some pictures to give you a better idea of what I'm working with.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Can't remove faucet from sink - stubborn nut URGENT
Author: tbenson1215 (CT)

I was trying to turn the nut closet to the sink. I'm not really sure how this is put together, so I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right.

Author: packy (MA)

you need to undo both nuts. both undo counterclockwise. the one just above the spray hose removes the hose while the one above it removes the faucet. try heating the higher one if it is that stubborn.

Author: steve (CA)

Author: m & m (MD)

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'd probably just take the sink out.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I've never had to take a sink out to remove a faucet. It can be removed using the right tools:
(In order of preference)
1. Basin Wrench (available from our sponsor: [www.plumbingsupply.com]
2. Off-set 5/8" open wrench head for 3/8" drive ratchet and extension.
3. 5/8" open end wrench and a hammer to tap it with.
4. Vise-grips.
5. If it really pis*es me off, I go get the side grinder with a metal cutting wheel and saw the tube in half, use a 5-8" deep well socket on the main nut.
6. Dynamite (Just kidding)

It also helps to have the right accessories: A Headlight, Reading glasses, an old pillow, and a little "Grab it and Growl". smiling smiley

Edit: Nut sizes are 5/8; not 7/16. Thanks HJ. A tip of the hat to you, sir.

Edited 1 times.

It can be one of those jobs..... An hour in, you reallize it would have taken 5 minutes to take the sink out, and work like a gentleman, standing up. Remove the old, intall the new and drop it in. I think I've always spent longer cleaning up the sink well than doing the job.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

If it's a double-basin cast iron sink sealed with silicone, I could not remove it in 5 minutes. Furthermore, I could not remove it in a gentlemanly manner; there might be some cussing like a sailor involved. smiling smiley

Author: KCRoto (MO)

This is obviously a stainless sink and not cast iron. If it wasn't causing problems I wouldn't take the sink out, but it is, so I would. I am sure the edge can use some new silicone and cleaning anyhow.

Author: packy (MA)

sorry paul48 but removing a stainless steel sink is out of the question. unscrewing the (at least) 8 clips and re-installing them is to me much more work. the ones in the front are very difficult to work on.
the clips in the back are usually corroded.
i'm with fixitangel on this. line up the explosives, cuss like a sailor and get the nuts removed..

Author: hj (AZ)

1. I have never removed a sink to change the faucet
2. And, if I had to, it would take a lot longer than "5 minutes" to remove all the clips, disconnect the drains, etc., and then you have to undo it when you put the sink back.
3. Remove the faucet, but use brains, not brawn.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Jim7145 (Non-US)

How did you make out with this man?
(I'm also on side with the line of thought removing a SS sink from a formica counter as old as this one isn't asking for trouble, it's begging for it)

They sometimes have a problem trying to access a 5/8" nut.

I've only done it a few times. Certainly not on a scale with a pro. I guess I just got lucky and had no problems removing the sinks. I'm sure I could have done them from underneath , but committed to removing them from the start and had what I needed to do that, on hand.These were mine and family members. I wasn't on the clock, or I couldn't have had a beer.

Author: Jim7145 (Non-US)

I get you Paul.
But... not for nothin'... I think some pro's commented here about how pulling a sink can be treacherous. Me? I probably put in a couple of hundred 8" deck mounted faucets myself which is why I said what I did. The irony for me is that just last week I had to do a re/re of an 8" bathroom faucet. I REALLY looked at the basin (Vit China) and considered pulling it.

I didn't b/c it would have been a real pain to get the basin to match up w/ the existing silicone. Instead I grabbed my Dremel knock off kit, put a cut wheel on it and zip zip.

From what I can see from the pics, it's the mounting nut (the one closest to the basin) that's the problem. Pop that (back in the day I'd have used a 1/4" drill bit to perforate the nut, or a nut cracker I'd use on toilets) and the rest is a done deal. The second nut- the one holding the sprayer- doesn't matter; you can cut the hose from above when you get the faucet off the deck.

Pulling a sink... oh man... in this trade for me was a last resort, especially if it's a Formica top. A 1/2" chip and you're replacing the counter. Unless you're a bachelor! LOL

He HAS to remove the hose "nut" in order for the retaining nut to come off. But he appears to have enough room to unfasten it with a pair of Channellocks, and then a deep socket will remove the retaining nut. I wish ALL my faucets had that much space to work in.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

he does NOT need to remove the hose nut

he merely needs to LOOSEN the mounting nut in order to 'bump' the mounting flange sideways

NOTICE THE "KEYHOLE"

the flange will slide off

cut the hose

VOILA

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

That is NOT a "keyhole" it is a "figure 8" with the stud through one opening and the spout hose, if it were a model which had one, would go through the other hole.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.