Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 ABS to Cast Iron main drain constriction Video Help?
Author: lopy12 (CA)

Hey everyone, I'm a first time home buyer and I have a question. We had a home inspection of the home and the inspector noted that the main drain was ABS but that it had a section of cast iron. There is a constriction into the cast iron and it is somewhat corroded. The inspector recommended we ask the seller to have this section replaced with ABS.

[www.youtube.com]

The seller responded with a video showing the drain working with: shower running, dishwasher running, sink running, then flushed both toilets. Flushed several pieces of toilet paper.

[www.youtube.com]

It would be great if someone with some knowledge would watch this video for a few minutes and give me their thoughts. I know toilet paper will flush but how about toilet paper plus poop? Tampons? Those "flushable" wipes?

Thank you!

Edited 2 times.

Re: ABS to Cast Iron main drain constriction Video Help?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

In my opinion tampons and flushable wipes shouldn't be flushed into the drain. Under normal use I see no need to replace the cast iron.

Thank you for your response, I never ever flush wipes or tampons. However, my wife continues to even though we've talked about it several times. She says she is grossed out by having wipes or used products in the trash... I don't know... BUT that's a separate issue.

I posted another video. The original video by the original inspector who says there is a problem. The first 3 minutes show most of the line. The line looks pretty dark rough to me.

Author: m & m (MD)

I would be more concerned about the "ledge" where the camera pauses. The pooling water points to a raised fitting or pipe edge.

Author: steve (CA)

I see 2 problem spots that need to be addressed. They are where the ABS section was inserted into the cast iron.

Author: hj (AZ)

I have no idea what we are looking at when the cameras stops. Why didn't he go further?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

While the flushing of tampons and wipes will virtually guarantee that your plumber will get a new fishing boat every few years, what Steve pointed out are severe pipe damage. Separations like that will allow debris to accumulate, and the water flowing through the line to wash out under the pipe, causing continued sagging and effectively collapsing the sewer in the near future. Get an estimate to replace the line before you jump into buying this house. It may require an influx of money very soon.

Steve, you are amazing, thank you so much! clap

1) Steve, you are amazing, thank you so much!

2) The video stopped because he was not able to get the camera past that separation.

3) Yeah, we are doing our best to get the sellers to credit us for the repairs!

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

2) The video stopped because he was not able to get the camera past that separation.

? feces and tp and tampons will do better ?

Good news for YOU (the prospective buyer) as the SEVERE issue was found before purchase.

Bad news for the seller who now needs money and/or shovels.

DO NOT PURCHASE UNLESS REPAIRED AND RE-Videoed frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.