Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 heating advice please
Author: mortonrob (Non-US)

I have a small house, 1 bath, 1 shower, 3 wc with solar water(300l) backed up by immersion heater on timer. The solar panels supply a cylinder with 2 coils, 1 unused.
Also an annex, 1 large bath with 2 showers and 2 wc,and 4 radiators, currently not connected, 25 meters away.

I want winter hot water in the house and better hot water to annex also with hot water to the radiators there.

I plan a largish air to water heat pump on the house for winter hot water and multiple connections to the annex.

If i put in a 2 or 3 coil cylinder in the annex with 1 heated by the house solar and 1 by the new heat pump.
Should I use the heat pump coil for the annex radiators as well or the 3rd coil instead?
any suggestions are welcome

thanks for your questions

The house is in central Portugal with daylight temperatures around 25degrees centigrade, nighttime about 15 deg
Daylight about 11 hours but
Winter daytime about 10 degrees, night about 4.

When sun is not shining, inside air temperature is about 15 degrees.

and very occasionally we have frost.

Edited 1 times.

Re: heating advice please
Author: Paul48 (CT)

What's your design day temperature? What's the heat loss of the annex? What type of emitters, and what's their output at whatever specific water temperature you expect? Those, and about another 50 questions should get you close to an answer.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Those, and about another 50 questions should get you close to an answer.

OR a crystal ball and a medium to read it.

Basically...we know he has a house in the sun. Only during daylight hours though.

Author: mortonrob (Non-US)

all a bit technical for me, weather info is on weatherbase.com, using the city of castello branco.
so winter average temp is about 8 degrees, day length about 10 hours in winter. Rain about 15 days a month.
So those are the days when I need heating but I would like to be non reliant on sun anyway.
I burn logs for room heating but don't have any back boilers and, even if I did they would not be convenient as too much log carrying for my wife if I'm away. The emitter question i don't understand.
I like water at about 50 degrees C and rooms to be about 20 or more. The annex bathrooms have radiators, as yet not connected just to drive away the damp.

Author: packy (MA)

in the northeast US, we design heating systems to raise the room temperature to 70 deg F when the outside is 0 deg F. amount of window area and square footage of outside walls as well as the amount of insulation in them all figure into the equation.
emiters is a fancy term for radiators

Because of our differences in climate, from yours to ours, we use a totally different approach to heating. The equipment would also be radically different. Heat pumps are not adequate for use in most of our country. Some of the southern states have climates closer to yours.You're going to have to rely on local knowledge when it comes to your system. Good Luck and Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.