Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumbing dispute
Author: valmo926 (CO)

I have a Buderus boiler, which is attached to my water heater. The igniter went out and I didn't have hot water for a couple of days. The plumber replaced it, but 45 minutes after he left, I went downstairs and the pressure valve on the water heater had busted and my laundry room and hallway were flooded. I insist this is the plumber's fault -- it's one system and the technician didn't stay long enough to make sure the system was operating correctly as it heated back up. The plumbing company says it's not their responsibility, just an "unhappy coincidence." Can someone tell me if I have a valid case?

Re: Plumbing dispute
Author: packy (MA)

no

Author: hj (AZ)

There was no reason he should have expected it to NOT work properly if the only problem was the igniter, and few people would want to pay a technician to stand around and watch the heater will it heated up. And, I don't know that you even know WHY the valve started spewing water.

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

What is the model if Buderus boiler ? If it is a Apline it only take a couple minutes for the boiler to get up to temp. Most likely when the boiler was down the system increased pressure and when the boiler fired it over pressurised there is a good chance that the expansion tank failed

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The real question is why isn't the discharge from your pressure valve directed to an operational drain? If the valve functioned as designed any other time you would have the same mess. If he had been standing by the drain, he would have watched it spray all over and had to come tell you that your laundry and hallway were flooded. Not having drainage and a way to direct water to that drain is on you.

Dear KCRMoto (MO),
Thanks for your reply. The floor doesn't slope toward the drain (I'll now have that fixed). You say it's on me but shouldn't the installer (the same company) have channeled that to the drain?

Excellent information, thank you clap

Dear PlumberPalmer,
Excellent information, thank you. So that gives a theory to what happened. As a homeowner, this seems like something the plumbing company should have accounted for and tested for. No?

Edited 2 times.

Sort of. Ultimately it is up to the home owner to pull the permit and inspection; if it wasn't done, it is the fault of the homeowner. Should the installer have installed a drain on the pressure relief? Of course, but since you were satisfied with the installation and paid them, it is on you now unfortunately.

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

I read you original post again if it was the T&P valve on the water heater then he defiantly had no fault in the flooding. If it was the relief valve on the boiler is when the pressure may have increased

if the relief valve did not blow before the ignitor went bad then there is no way changing the ignitor would cause the the relief to blow.
if you called the plumber to fix the ignitor then you recieved 100% of the service you requested. it did not ignite before he came and it ignites now.
if you requested a complete inspection and cleaning of the heating system then you have a case.. END OF STORY..
my code does not require the overflow from the relief to be directed to a floor drain. if yours does then the inspector should have picked up on that and flunked the job.

[www.nationalboard.org] I guess I assume that "a point of safe discharge" is into a working drain and not onto the floor which isn't sloped to a drain.

They did NOT say anything about the expansion tank rupturing, and if it were simple thermal expansion it would NEVER had "flooded" the rooms.

I NEVER pipe the T&P discharge to the floor, but how many plumbers, and others, on this site DO, and think it is adequate.

As my previous reply indicated, MANY, many, plumbers on this site DO just drop the discharge line to the floor and expect the water to find its own drain. NOT a good idea, but apparently acceptable in most areas, (but not here).

Author: bernabeu (SC)

It is NOT acceptable anywhere ...... even if the uneducated/unknowledgeable/ignorant homeowner pays the bill.

What part of: 'A point of safe discharge' is not understandable by a person with at least an 8th grade education ?

SHHHEEEEEEEEEZ

(rant over)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

geesh KC, i tried to be very clear that "my code does not require the overflow from the relief to be directed to a floor drain"..
i don't profess to know every code in the US...

My point is that it is reasonable, prudent and the responsibility of the plumber to ensure that the installation won't cause damage to people or property under normal operating conditions. The discharge of a safety valve is normal operation in my book. Now if somebody drops a cue ball into the floor drain and it floods? well, that is a different matter entirely.

As Bernabeau would say, "conforming to code is NOT always the best practice".

'most' codes either reference or actually defer to manufacturer's specifications

as per Watts:

A relief valve functions in an emergency by discharging water. Therefore,
it is essential that a discharge line be piped from the valve in order to carry
the overflow to a safe place of disposal.
The discharge line must be the
same size as the valve outlet and must pitch downward from the valve and
terminate at least 6”(152mm) above the floor drain where any discharge
will be clearly visible.

~~~? what would ANY competent plumber call a 'safe place of disposal' ?~~~

~~~ no need to opine, Watts has defined it as a floor drain ~~~

D'OH

Edited 1 times.

thanx, Vic

I appreciate your help. Thanks! big grin

I am indebted to everyone who replied. I learned a lot and I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.