Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Well Pump Air in system
Author: avisk8 (IL)

Somehow air is getting in the system. It seems like a lot of air is being shot from the well itself, from what I am guessing is a leak in the vertical piping in the hole. I have checked the pressure tank in the evening and then again the next morning and pressure didn't seem to move, which is why I assume it is leaking from the vertical piping. I am not sure what kind of pump it is other than it is a submersible in the hole. I have empyted the pressure tank and checked the pressure level all within spec.

Is there a test to find out if the vertical piping is leaking?

If there is a leak elsewhere in the system that is past the pressure tank wouldn't it be the same as an open faucet? Could the "water hammer" or pressure change of the well pump on and off allow air in a leak past the pressure tank?

Re: Well Pump Air in system
Author: m & m (MD)

If the air is on the 'well side' of the pressure tank, you will hear it pushing thru the system when the pump turns on. To check the vertical drop pipe, shut the system power off, pull the pitless adaptor to the top of the casing and rest it on the casing edge. Observe the water level thru the pitless opening. If there is a leak, the water level will fall out of sight. Have a bucket of water ready so you can refill the drop pipe for a second or third test.

When the pump kicks on it does sound like air is flowing into and thru the system. From what I understand the pump was installed in the 70's. Any suggestions on how to pull the adapter and vertical piping up and out? Tools? If I get this far...I feel I should just go ahead and replace the piping and pump with PVC. Would you agree?

After further inspection/diagnosis...

Upon opening the 6" well cap I find 3 wires, and a 1" female pipe level with the cap. Following this 1" pipe down into the well it comes to a connection with 4- 1/2" bolts. This pipe is in the center of the pit. I loossed 1 of the bolts to find water seeping through. Promptly I tightened it back down. I cannot see a pitless adapter.

After some research all I can make of this is that it is a well spool? Where the edges of this device touch the casing it look like it could be threaded.

My questions are.

If this is a spool how is it removed?

Could there still be a pitless underneath of this?

How do you recommend removing these bolts 4' down?

I am on the brink of having a professional take this one off my hands and really just want to know if all my efforts thus far have been in vein angry before doing so.

Thanks

P.S. It has potential to be a seal but the possible threaded edges are what throws me off.

Thanks,

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.