Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ball Valve Replacements
Author: tjgbrew (NJ)

I'm replumbing my house, including all the 3/4" ball valves to the water heater, hose bib, and softener bypass. BUT I'm also replacing the main shutoff and this has me the most worried because the only redundancy is at the street.
My local supply house sells Watts for like half of the price of the big box Muellers. The Muellers seem more heavy duty but sure are expensive and I don't always trust the big box. Anything that I should know about this decision? I'm not worried about cost, just reliability.
Anything heavy duty that I could get for the main?

Re: Ball Valve Replacements
Author: bernabeu (SC)

IMO: Full Port 'Apollo' brand marine grade bronze for the main valve (get at a marine supply such as West xxxxxx)

and/or

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

remember: full ported

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

as far as i know, the mueller valves are made in china.
watts is not a bad name.
apollo are WAY overpriced..

Author: hj (AZ)

It depends on WHICH model Mueller it is. The "heavy" patterns are the ones I prefer.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Big Box Stores, sell Made in China, ball valves. Plumbing supply stores have the option of those products, Made in the USA or China. The manufacturer part number designates the country of origin. Knowing this, you can choose your poison.

Best Wishes

Hmmm - I guess the question is what do you guys do?
I know not everything coming out of China is junk but it is obviously a way to make the cheapest possible product. The Mueller I'm looking at come from the orange box. The Watts at the plumbing supply are like half price. The local supplier sure doesn't see a problem with having that be my main shutoff, but he also tried to sell me a cheap Honeywell PRV when I wanted a Watts.

Edited 1 times.

absolutely..

Author: hi (TX)

watts or how about a stainless one? I think they are top quality

Made in china of course just like your iPhone6. We can't make quality like they do overseas anymore for the price that they do.

Edited 2 times.

apollo are WAY overpriced..

For my MAIN valve I would get their marine grade bronze valve - for the rest, get any ole thing you want, you will always have a dependable drop tight shut-off!

They make valves in marine grade bronze - quite expensive, but top-o-the-line

They make valves in brass - old school excellence, not for potable water (ha-ha) - pricey

They make standard plumbing grade - typically priced - now lead free

bernabeu, around here we have water meters on almost every house. even if the house is on its own private well it must have a water meter since they must pay for the amount of water that they discharge into the sewer system.
public works department wants a shut off above and below the meter. so, there is no sense in buying the highest quality, most expensive valves. if one doesn't work the other one will.

I have one main shutoff - it is between the street and the meter and there isn't another after the meter. I'm responsible for all of it, so I'm replacing the shoddy looking one with something new. Should I put another after the PRV? It seemed pointless to me because if the first one fails... the second one will be pointless.

the horse has long since died

Poor thing, he was beat to death.

Ah - missed the whole passive aggressive thing winking smiley

My apologies for asking questions.

Edited 1 times.

tjgbrew, just a little inside humor amongst ourselves.

Thanks again for the help! smiling smiley

Ok - went over my head.

Thanks again for the help!

Edited 1 times.

Author: tjgbrew (NJ),

No sweat - a little 'inside' BBing

you have advice from multiple pros

I do tend to 'overkill' with 'best practice' as opposed to code minimum

however: you are now REPLACING the code minimum valve(s) which have (evidently) failed - the mentioned Apollo valves have been available for at least 40 years (personal knowledge)

smiling smiley

Edited 2 times.

No apologies necessary. Once the question is answered, which it was fairly quickly, we are free to indulge ourselves.

We are free to indulge ourselves. . As long as you don't bring up the D-backs losing their first 11 games

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.