Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Heater - Will Water Loss Damage it?
Author: DAlatorre2015 (WA)

I recently had a plumber replace a shower mixing valve in my bathroom and he turned off the water supply to the house and then turned on the shower mixing valve to drain any water and pressure that was in the system prior to changing the shower mixing valve. After the new shower mixing valve was installed he turned the water supply to the house back on to check for leaks. The new mixing valve leak checked good and the plumber was paid and left. However, that night I noticed I no longer have hot water. It still gets slightly warm, but not hot. After reading some forums I'm starting to wonder if maybe the top element in my water heater burnt out when he drained the system of water of pressure to change the mixing valve? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated in regard to if this is possible?

Re: Water Heater - Will Water Loss Damage it?
Author: Paul48 (CT)

The valve probably has a device that limits the hot water. Read the directions.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'm guessing the hot water works fine everywhere else ?
I also think it's the temperature limit device under the handle that needs to be adjusted.

Author: hj (AZ)

IT is VERY hard to drain the water out of a water heater accidentally, so that is not likely to be the problem, but without more testing we cannot tell you what the problem REALLY is.

Thanks for all your help applause
Author: DAlatorre2015 (WA)

Ok, I learned a lot about water heaters today. I initially thought one of my heater elements had gone bad since I was still able to get luke warm water but after disconnecting power and draining the system and disconnecting wires to both heating elements I found that the new element and the original two elements all ohm checked the same. A visual exam showed minor buildup on the elements but I'm guessing that is probably normal. Based on those findings I determined it was probably one of the thermostats that had gone bad and bought electric water heater tune-up kit which consisted of two new probes and a new upper and lower thermostat. After I replaced those items the electric water heater works as advertised and we have hot water again. Thanks for all your help and I would still be interested to know if thermostats typically go bad. After learning about the system it appears to me as a newbie that elements would generally be the part in the system that would fail and not the thermostats. Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated for my own knowledge...thanks in advance.

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

There are a number of factors that contribute to the life of a water heater. The water quality and the temperature setting play the largest part. If a person with hard water has the heat set high, it tends to destroy elements faster, and if the tank isn't drained regularly, it will build up sediment. If the sediment reaches the lower element it will burn out very, very fast. If a person does have hard water, but cleans the sediment out regularly, and keeps the temperature down a bit, it will tend to wear out upper thermostats before elements in my experience.

Author: hj (AZ)

In 65+ years, I MAY have replaced a dozen thermostats, or so, so NO they do not go back frequentily.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I have changed 4 in the last 3 years. One of the heaters wasn't even a year old. I think part of the problem is cheap, low quality parts.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.