Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Baseboard Hot Water Heat Work
Author: klute (CO)

A full kitchen remodel is looming on the horizon in our house and I'm trying to figure out a few vital issues. The most prominent of which is what to do with the baseboard radiator on a wall I'm hoping to remove.

The home was built in 1957 in Colorado Springs, it's single story slab roughly 1800 sqft. The kitchen was built in an L - Galley design which isolates it from the dining and common area, it's quite irritating. I'm hoping to take the wall out between the kitchen and dining areas, adding an island and opening everything up.

Unfortunately there is a hot water baseboard on the dining side of the wall to be removed. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Is it possible to simply remove it and put a straight pipe into the slab to continue the circuit? Does anyone have experience with hot water heat and slab work? It would be nice to place it somewhere else in the room, but I undersand the options are limited based on where the current heating lines are.

Also, would I need to completely drain the boiler to work on the pipes? Unfortunately there is no drain in my utility closet, so that too is a hopeful project. ANy thoughts or ideas?

By no means will I jump into this project on my own, but I am attempting to gather information to aid the process along. It's been a surprising challenge to find a plumber who has experience with this heating system and slab.

Thank you!

Re: Baseboard Hot Water Heat Work
Author: hj (AZ)

You CAN replace it with a section of copper tube, but it is NOT something YOU should do, but rather a professional with copper tubing brazing experience.

Author: packy (MA)

you don't need to drain the entire bioler, just the loop of heat.
cut the copper pipes at the ends of the baseboard and use a shop vac to suck the water out of the under floor pipes.
you can then go about repiping as needed.
refilling and getting the air out after it is repiped will be a challenge but a heating pro will know how..

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Inserting a copper line to "short circuit" should only be done if it is a one pipe circulation system. Why are we assuming it is a one pipe system?

The "short pipe" is just taking the place of a radiator, regardless of the type of system. If it is a MonoFlo system, you still need to maintain the flow when the radiator is removed.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Yes, but if it is not a Monoflow system, then it is easier to just cap off the two pipes, and this way you are not reducing the flow to the other rads.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Never cap monoflow tees. It creates huge head. If there is only a supply and return sticking up. It is either series, or monoflow. Either requires a bypass.

Edited 1 times.

THere is NO WAY, it could "reduce the flow to the other radiators", unless the baseboard did the same thing.

It COULD be a two pipe system, but even that would NOT be impacted by a bypass.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.