Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Interference fit into a socket
Author: Rocket Gal (Non-US)

I finished my under sink plumbing. It went well and it doesn't leak. I wondered about something though. The street 90 elbow that goes into the socket of another street 90 elbow did not go all the way in. There is about a 1/4" space ... a small ring of glue can be seen between them all the way around. It doesn't leak. Is it normal? Could it have been pushed farther into the socket? Thanks!

Re: Interference fit into a socket
Author: KCRoto (MO)

It usually goes in all the way. If you let go of the fittings before the glue sets, it can push them apart.

Author: hj (AZ)

I am more concerned about HOW you did the drain, because using 2 street 90s is NOT a common way to do it. How about a picture?

Edited 1 times.

I replaced what was there already. The waste water exits thru the floor, instead of the wall. So the 2 90's form an arch after the p-trap, then from there it's a straight piece of abs into the floor.
The glue is really fast (as you know). And I did hold it tightly together for several seconds to avoid push out.

quote; So the 2 90's form an arch after the p-trap, then from there it's a straight piece of abs

Actually they form an "S" trap which is illegal and subject to siphonage and sewer gas odors.

Thanks for your input big grin

Well that is disturbing. What I replaced was installed 18 years ago and since then there have been no issues at all. I wonder if an inspection was ever done because you'd think it would have been pointed out. Thanks for your input.

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

When the drain comes up thru the floor, I install a tee to catch the P-trap, and a studor vent atop the tee.

Depending on the local code in her jurisdiction. If this isn't in the U.S. then it may not be prohibited. That doesn't change the siphonage problem however.

Author: packy (MA)

well if it had no problem for 18 years, why would it be a problem now?

It's worth repeating: No problems at all. No odour, no gurgling/choking or gasping even while draining both sinks at once. It's great to have a dry cabinet floor and get rid of the catch-bucket ! If it does need to be replaced I can get access to the ABS beneath the floor from the room directly below which has no ceiling tiles to obstruct.

Probably not because they have been "illegal for at least 80 years.

There is nothing you can do "underneath" to make it better. The "cure" which is only slightly better would be a air admittance valve in the cabinet, but it would not prevent a lack of drainage if the line gets slightly obstructed. You could have an obstructed artery for a long time, but you would still want to fix it once you found out about it.

An AAV would be in addition to the vent that is there now. If I really needed to, (say an eagle-eyed home inspector said "hey that's an s-trap"winking smiley I would replace what was needed to make it "legal" because I have access to all the ABS that drains right to the stack.

It would NOT be "in addition to the vent that is there now", because by your description there is NO vent "now".

Uh Oh ... I see... so what if I installed an air admittance valve. Would that make the s-trap legal?

To do so, you would have to cut out the pipe you just replaced. If it isn't causing a problem at the moment, might as well leave it until it does. Just know that next time it needs to be reconfigured.

If you did it correctly, then yes, but the key word is "correctly".

I've seen some diagrams on some legit websites about the placement of the AAV.
This has been a very informative discussion and I've learned a lot.
That's for pointing out these things.

Author: pipedream69 (SD)

How about posting a photograph of under the sink?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.