Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 underground leak
Author: ssgobucks (MI)

My home is built on a slab and I developed a leak under the tub in a bath. I had to tear out tile and drywall to remove tub. I need to repair a 3/4 soft copper supply line. I had a plumber come in to fix it and he used a sharkbite fitting to make the repair. After looking into sharkbites website and making a call to sharkbite, I was told that a sharkbite fitting cannot be used on soft copper and cannot be underground. Can anyone tell me the correct fitting to make this repair, as I am getting conflicting advice from plumbing supply companies and plumbers. This repair is under a slab and I do not want to redo bathroom only to have this happen again!

Edited 1 times.

Re: underground leak
Author: hj (AZ)

if a Sharkbite can be used on PEX or CPVC which are both softer than soft copper, I cannot image why it could not be used, as long as the copper is not deformed> But if it were deformed, the Sharkbite would not have sealed to it, assuming you could even get it on to the tubing, and would have leaked.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

underground copper joints should be brazed.
requires high temperature and should be done by someone experienced in brazing.

The key words are "should be", In this instance he asked if the Sharkbite would work. Since the SB is approved for use on copper, and "burial", the answer was yes.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Read his post again

quote from the Sharkbite site;

And since our products are certified to 200 psi, 200ºF and for use in underground and behind the wall applications,

Author: Paul48 (CT)

To the OP...Pick One!.....One has to be right.You have a 50/50 chance.

Sharkbite is certainly approved for copper, but it is not approved for soft copper. Website specs say no, and put in a call to sharkbite and was told by tech, do not use on soft copper.

Edited 2 times.

I don't find any prohibition about soft copper and have used them on soft copper many times. The only difference between hard copper and soft copper is the annealing process and the possibility of deforming the soft copper BEFORE you install the SB fitting.

On their website go to resources, faqs, fittings. Can they be used on soft copper? No, only hard drawn copper Types K,L,N. I am not a plumber and don't pretend to be. I just don't want to tear my bathroom apart again.

Edited 3 times.

Author: seano13 (NJ)

Use a brass McDonald pack joint

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.