Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PEX differences
Author: tjgbrew (NJ)

Is all PEX created equal? I know you have to make sure the crimp tool and rings are the same brand but do the barbed fixtures matter? And is all the tubing with same specs considered to be equal?

I ask because someone told me to avoid the supplies sold at certain large home improvement retailers. But I've found the supplies are sometimes the same as those sold at plumbing supply shops. I like to support local business but it is hard to ignore when the savings is substantial.

Re: PEX differences
Author: KCRoto (MO)

-Is all PEX created equal?
No, there are different styles of pex, and each variety uses different attachment methods. Further, there are some types of pex made specifically for heating and not potable water.

-I know you have to make sure the crimp tool and rings are the same brand but do the barbed
-fixtures matter?
You need the correct tool to use with each attachment method, the brand is irrelevant in most cases. If by barbed fixtures you are referring to fittings, then yes

-And is all the tubing with same specs considered to be equal?
Yes, but only when comparing apples to apples.

-I ask because someone told me to avoid the supplies sold at certain large home improvement
-retailers. But I've found the supplies are sometimes the same as those sold at plumbing supply
-shops. I like to support local business but it is hard to ignore when the savings is
-substantial.
When you say that supplies are the same, make sure that they are actually the same. 2 plastic fittings may not be made of the same material, but if you are positive that the parts are identical, then feel free to use the box store; or even purchase them online in bulk if needed. When it comes to toilets and fixtures however, I find it hard to find the same quality at a box store over what a plumbing supplier can provide. The models of faucets tend to have more brass in them at plumbing supply houses, and the quality of toilets especially is much better from plumbing suppliers.

Author: packy (MA)

i use the viega press sleeves for my pex connectons. if i'm only doing a few joints i use my hand crimper tool. if i'm doing alot i use my ridgid press tool.
i mix and match fittings and tubing all the time. as long as they are marked SDR-9 they are all the same size.
pex-A is less apt to kink when making sharp bends.

Author: tjgbrew (NJ)

Ok - someone mentioned to me the PEX at the big box stores is crappy. A friend had warned that the tools cost $700, but I've since learned you can get the crimper for less than $100. I just want to make sure that I'm not putting something inferior into the wall.

Also - it seems like manifolds are for convenience? Since I only have two PEX hot water lines running to fixtures was I was going to just use tees and inline valves.

i don't pay too much attention to which brand of pex tubing i use.
i'm not sure how many years i've been using it / 10-12 or more ??
have never had a failure.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Quote: i don't pay too much attention to which brand of pex tubing i use.

I bought a roll of 3/4 Apollo Pex B tube at a big box and that is the "kinkiest" tube in the world. If I cut off 10' and try to straighten it, bending it backwards 60 degrees at one foot intervals and use a heat gun on it, it will curl back up before I can get my rings and crimper. I hate the stuff. Gonna take the rest of the roll and cut out 4' dia loops, crimp the ends with a union, and spary paint them different colors. Should make good hoola-hoops for the grandkids. smiling smiley

"Should make good hoola-hoops for the grandkids."
are you going to test them before giving them away?

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Of course. I couldn't hoola-hoop when I was a kid, and doubt I can now, except if having the extra weight of a union and crimp rings will help throw the center of gravity off and make it easier to work; kinda like a car wheel that's out of balance. I will skip the part of the test where one of my siblings smacks me upside the head with the crimped union. That could hurt! frowning

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Also - it seems like manifolds are for convenience?

NO NO NO

A manifold system, if properly installed, has no, repeat NO, joints hidden in the walls (except for the local stub-out to the angle stop valve).

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.