Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Set screw (allen) in kitchen faucet handle stripped
Author: beahaven (CA)

The set screw (allen) for my Valley single-control kitchen faucet is stripped. The allen wrench spins but will not take hold. There is only a 2" space between the back of the faucet (hole placement) and the wall.
I tried cleaning out dirt with a toothpick,proxy brust and pipe cleaner. I sprayed WD-40. Still no luck. I am a senior lady with little plumbing experience.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Setscrew in kitchen faucet handle stripped
Author: m & m (MD)

Have you tried both metric and U.S. allen wrenches?

Re: Setscrew in kitchen faucet handle stripped

I used an 1/8" allen. Same size that I have used before. I also tried a new one with sharper edges. It still won't turn.

Re: Set screw (allen) in kitchen faucet handle stripped
Author: KCRoto (MO)

with a flashlight and a mirror, you may be able to visually inspect the set screw and see if the head is rounded out. If it is, I would try forcing some gorilla glue or epoxy putty into the head of the screw, then put the wrench in, and tape it on for 24 hours until it cures, then take one last shot at turning the screw out. If it comes out, you are out a set screw; if it doesn't, then I would suggest a new faucet as opposed to trying to cut the handle off and pry the remnants away from the cartridge.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

KCRoto (MO),

Good one!

Learned a new trick smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Just don't get whatever you used on the handle's thread, which will be hard to prevent inside the small opening in the handle. I would either cut the handle off or change the faucet, and given this is a Valley faucet replacement would be the first choice.

Thanks for your great tip thumbs

KCRoto (MO),

Can you recommend an epoxy putty? J-B Weld 8265S Original Steel Reinforced Epoxy Twin Pack is a #1 seller on Amazon.
It seems to me that the application of the putty would have to be very presise. Otherwise you would be filling up the hole with an immovable substance.

I looked at the set screw with a mirror and flashlight and the head looks a bit rounded out.

I am going to apply Liquid Wrench L116 Penetrating Oil each day for a week. I will use a small bottle that use to contain eye drops. I will add little oil each day. At the end of a week I will try the set screw. If that doesn't work I will try the epoxy putty. What do I have to lose? I'm still wondering about the amount and placement of the putty.

Thanks for your great tip.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

We use these things called Sock-it-Out at work. They work great, but are too pricey for a homeowner.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the epoxy would be applied to the end of the 'allen key' in order to 'glue' it into the stripped tapping on the screw

the screw would be 'junked' after removal

since the faucet itself is a 'throw-away' big box store type ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

No room to use it between the backsplash and the faucet anyway.

JB weld would be fine I imagine I used to keep metal reinforced epoxy putty on my truck, but I don't remember what the brand is, the little paper came out a while back. The point of the epoxy IS to fill all of the void or else it won't work at all. you could use a toothpick and a mirror to get some inside the screw, and just put a thin coating on the allen wrench before you insert it.

Author: sum (FL)

You can try JB Weld, you need to use a flat head screwdriver and a mirror, after you mix the epoxy compound, to apply them to the rounded out hole, then insert your allen key into it slowly, expelling the excess around the key, and let it set.

There is another possibility which has worked well for me in the past, and that is to use a star drive bit of similar size - slightly bigger as the allen key. I was able to pound a star drive bit into an allen key hole then use a socket wrench to turn it. Now being that the key socket faces your kitchen wall 2 inches away, you can't pound the bit in with a hammer, but perhaps you may be able to lay a piece of 1X lumber across your backsplash, put the star drive bit over your allen key socket, then use a pry bar against the backsplash to try and wedge the bit into the socket. All you need is to get a bite, then insert your socket wrench and try to turn it. You might have a shot.

Edited 1 times.

That's an idea that I haven't heard before. Lumber, star drive bit and a pry bar. It might work.

The Liquid Wrench I ordered will arrive on Wednesday. I will squirt some on the set screw and tap it slightly to set up vibrations. I'll repeat for a week. Then I will try removing it with a new 1/8 " allen wrench. If unsuccessful I will try your idea. I will have to buy or borrow the necessary items.

Thanks for the post.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try just one more time." T. Edison

I would use a c-clamp before I would ever pry against the faucet like that.

KCRoto

C-clamp That is a terrific idea. I will look into that. Thanks.

The allen wrench is 1/8". Would I use the T 15? I found several mini ratchet and bit sets.

Edited 1 times.

Author: pipedream69 (SD)

Just get a new Delta faucet.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.