Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 No water running at all from faucet for hot water side
Author: Capone (WA)

I currently am the third generation to live in my house that was built in 1954. I work nights and came home this morning to my wife telling me we had no hot water. I immediately went to the hot wanter tank (Natural Gas) and checked the pilot light was on and that the valves were one which they were. I then went to the sink and discovered it wasn't that we didn't have any hot water, it's that we didn't have any water at all coming from the hot faucet. Cold water works just fine. This is consistent all through the house. I went back to the hot water tank and confirmed that the water coming into the tank is flowing. I also shook the tank which is currently empty. Next I checked the drain on the outside of the house and nothing is coming out of the drain. I am concerned I may have busted a water line under the house. Unfortuneately there has been so much rain here in the last 24 hours I can't tell. And my crawl space is less than inviting. Any thoughts of simple things it could be that I can check?

Re: No water running at all from faucet for hot water side
Author: steve (CA)

Water is flowing into the tank, but the tank is empty? First, turn off the gas and cold water supply to the water heater. Is there a pipe connected at the water drain valve?

Yes, it goes outside and dumps under the back deck. I checked and there is no water coming from the drain pipe. No water around the water heater to signify a leak of any sort.

I have a leased water heater through my natural gas company. They are coming out to replace the water heater to see if that fixes the problem since I am due for a new one anyways.

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless the water came out of the bottom of the tank and flooded the room, it is still in the heater and it is NOT empty. There are tests that can be made to see if the valve on the line going into the tank has broken, because that is the most likely thing to cause your problem.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Take the hose off of the water heater drain and make sure water isn't coming out from it regardless of where it is going TO. I would then get a bucket or drain pan under that valve and turn it on and see if it just glugs out, or sprays under pressure. If it does anything other than spray with full force, the valve on the inlet side of the water heater is the problem. If it blasts full force out of the heater, you have a problem out the outlet side.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.