Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Preaching to the choir
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Just came across this article in the NYT about the increasing problem of "flushable wipes" which is sort of a misnomer, because they really do not break down quickly, and cause huge buildups in municipal waste treatment plants across the country...here: [www.nytimes.com]

You guys and gals and I know not to flush them, and few people stop by this forum for preventative maintenece ideas; they wait until the pipes are clogged then ask for help.

I guess that the idea that it's OK to throw anything into the magic flushing hole of the toilet originated from the pioneer days when outhouses were standard. You could throw a dead cat in there along with anything else unpleasant.

I don't what would help fix the stiuation; Put stonger warnings labels on baby wipe boxes? Put a warning sticker uner the toilet seat lid? Start teaching classes of students in public schools about "How things really work" and cause and effect? I don't know. What I do is give clients my little lecture about flushing NOTHING but #1, #2, and TP. Putting anthing else in can cause your water bill to increase, or cause your money to go into in the pocket of a plumber/drain cleaner pro. Thank you very much. The Job security is appreciated.

Rant over. Just remember; humans can only survive 3 days without clean water to drink.
To paraphrase a popular credit card commercial: "Whats in your water?"

Re: Preaching to the choir
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

It might take a lawsuit against the manufacture of these products that claim they are "flush-able" to begin resolving this important issue. After all the consumer is just following the directions on the product label.

Best Wishes

Author: bernabeu (SC)

They ARE flushable.

The 'implication' is that they are readily biodegradable.

The fact that are flushable DOES NOT mean that they SHOULD be flushed.

The manufacturer does not state that they SHOULD be flushed, merely that they are CAPABLE of BEING flushed.

e.g. xyzABLE

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

if i were a sitting judge like my idol joe wapner, i would throw you out of my courtroom. your argument has no legal basis.
besides, who believes ANYTHING they read in the NYT ???

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.