Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas Valve and Sediment traps
Author: Shanon (NV)

OK..I need a little help. My heater was not working and heres what the A/C technician told me.
The unit is 20 years old.

And I quote. "The failure was caused by the unit not having a sediment trap and needs to have one installed. The gas valve has worn out due to not having a sediment trap installed. Needs to be done before the a/c can be checked."

I guess I understand that a gas valve can wear out, but does it wear out due to not having a sediment trap as the technician claims.?

Another reason he gave me for the sediment trap was"It's my companies policy to bring your unit up to code so I have to install a sediment trap."

Do I need a sediment trap.? Have not had one on the unit for 20 years.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Gas Valve and Sediment traps
Author: hj (AZ)

Well, I have NOT installed any for the past 45 years. In any case sediment does NOT "wear out" a gas valve either. I might consider a different service person.

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

Shanon, has this company serviced your unit for a number of years?

Author: pitersonsmith (NY)

A sediment trap can help prolong the life of your gas water heater. What a sediment trap consists of is simply a tee in the gas pipe before the inlet of the control valve. This tee provides a place where the gas can make a sharp turn into the water heater and any particles of water or trash can collect. Preventing debris from getting into the pilot or main burner assembly will prolong the life of the water heater. Sediment traps are required by the Uniform Plumbing Code and are therefore incorporated into most, if not all, city building and safety codes. Call your local building department if you have any questions about whether or not a sediment trap is required.

Author: Shanon (NV)

No, this is the first time this company has serviced the A/C unit.

Author: jblanche (WI)

I was told by a plumber on this site or elsewhere that drip legs, while still required by code in many places, are a relic of the coal gas era when gas would have had more particulates than in modern times.

Given the state of natural gas as a commodity today, I can imagine that quality is fairly consistent nationwide, so if your gas comes from a pipeline rather than a coal gasification plant, it seems unlikely that contaminants would be significant.

Have you checked your local & state codes to see what is required?

Correlation is not equivalent to causation. Many people forget this, despite a lack of evidence.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.