Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kohler K-304 Mixing Valve Cap Stuck in the body
Author: Induray (FL)

Greetings everyone. I am attempting to replace a leaky mixing valve cap on a K-304 pressure balancing valve. I have removed the two screws that hold the collar and threaded insert fitting (that holds the cover) and the two screws that hold the valve cap and collar to the valve body. The collar and the insert rotate freely so I am sure I removed all the screws.(I hope). The thing is that the valve cap will not budge. I have pulled, pushed tried to rock it loose to no avail. I have even tapped it with a rubber mallet to break it loose. I even sprayed some PJ Blaster to see if it was corrosion welded. I live in Florida where the water is hard. Has anyone have experience with situation?? What did you do to break it loose?? Is there any type of "special tool" thst I can get(i.e. puller?). I am afraid fo damaging the valve body if I pull too hard. Your help will be appreciated.
Let me know if you can see the images below too. Im new at this.
Thnks Induray

Re: Kohler K-304 Mixing Valve Cap Stuck in the body
Author: packy (MA)

can you get a pipe wrench on it so you can rotate and pull at the same time?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The valve appears to be piped with CPVC, I would proceed with caution.

Author: packy (MA)

good catch my friend..

Yes it is connected with CPVC. Have anyone experienced this situation???

Author: hj (AZ)

Once you get the retaining bolts removed, the only thing holding it together is a stuck "O" ring.

It is really stuck!!! Any suggestions???

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You might make a puller , using the threaded holes in the valve body for a pair of bolts.

Author: Garv (CA)

I have the exact same valve. I did what you said, tapped it with a rubber mallet. I hit down, side, up, other side. On the second rotation on the upswing it fell right off. There is nothing holding it to the cartridge inside but probably a hard water deposit, Don't kill it, but don't be afraid to give it whack.

Author: Locnhinho (CA)

Thanks for this posting. I have the same issue and will give it a try next week.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.