Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Running Threads
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

I have to install this wall union for a sliding shower bar

[/URL]

As you can see it has straight threads where it screws into the FIP fitting in the wall. I have always made this joint in the past by using plenty of teflon tape to fill up gaps and so far I have not had any observable leaks. I suppose I have gotten away with it because it is not under continous pressure.

I screwed the running thread nipple into a FIP adapter to test and it goes in two turns and then it begins to bind.

The running thread nipple does unscrew from the rest of the union and a 12mm allen key can be used to really tighten the nipple down into the FIP adapter and I could use a rubber washer on the other end of the nipple to seal it.

Is there a better way to make this joint?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Running Threads
Author: Paul48 (CT)

NPT male x NPS female adapter.

Googling that adapter only brought up some over priced adapters, which makes me think it is not in common use. I have never checked at my supplier for this adapter but will do so the next time I am there.

The fitting is probably not a common fitting either, and probably not design for use with all valves. If it was the manufacturer usually has a way of adapting it.

Author: packy (MA)

since nipples only come in 1/2 inch increments, some engineer/designer came up with a running thread to make installation easier and more accurate.
NOW. if someone could only figure out how to use it ???

This one has a flange that slides over the smooth chromed shank and hence there is almost an inch of tolerance for the finished depth so nipple length is not even an issue here. I am going to try an ordinary (tapered thread) pipe nipple and see how well it engages the union body.

George....Can you show us a picture of the whole thing. I can't visualize it.

george, some of those european design threads are longer than needed and are meant to be cut.
i once had trim for a french shower valve that worked like that.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

another possibility is a BSP thread

see: [pipeandhose.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: scottdenny (CA)

The straight male by tapered female adapter is the proper solution. Unfortunately, it's not readily available. If you had a threader with a nipple chuck, you could put your put a taper on the fitting pictured. A machinist,if you have access to one, could do the same. Foreign manufacturers shouldn't ship without doing a little homework to make sure their products are compatible. I had an issue with Dornbracht last year where the flex hoses they shipped with a new producthad BSPP threads. Took a little research to identify and acquire the proper adapters. I gave my local rep an earful on that one which resulted in an apology from Germany. I would rather have received a check for wasted time. Unfortunately, German manufacturers are as respectful of our time as their American counterparts.

"Unfortunately, German manufacturers "
i don't know about that.. i've had a couple of issues with buderus and found them to be concerned and cooperative.

Paul, the union is at the customer's house now. I will take a picture of it tomorrow.

Does your concerned and cooperative translate into a check or other form of compensation?

probably not

but it will help on ensuring a proper installation

then the worker can go home with PRIDE knowing the job was done properly

not merely 'good 'nuff' to get paid

sheeeez ...... where has the worker's pride and self respect gone ?

..... rant over

Edited 1 times.

Bernabeu
Please read the whole thread. My beef is with manufacturers, not HO's.

MY beef is with today's so called skilled tradesmen who enable the crap by purchasing it.

At the HO's request, of course.

Helping to drive the few manufactures who make a quality product out of business.

food for thought: when was the last time you told a customer:

No, I will not install or furnish what you want because it is substandard junk?

You can't, because there are others who will come and cut your throat.

ps. I read the thread very carefully

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.