Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot/Cold water issue
Author: john5 (VA)

I recently moved into a new house with a partially finished basement. All of the drywall, electric, and plumbing is set up. A bathroom is plumbed in, which I was going to begin tiling until I came across a weird problem with the laundry room, just on the other side of the wall.

I began to notice something strange when I hooked up our washer and used the utility sink in the laundry room in the basement. There is an access panel in the ceiling of the laundry room with a hot and cold water line behind it, both with shut-off valves. If I cut both off, there is no water going to either the sink or the washer hook ups. If I cut just the cold, then both the hot and cold side of the sink and washer bring in hot water. If I cut the hot, then only cold comes in, again to both the hot and cold sides of the sink and washer hook ups. Unfortunately, it is all behind drywall, so I can not say with certainty where this issue is coming from, nor what is causing it. I do however, think the issue is behind the wall in the laundry room and not somewhere else between it and the water heater, which is also in the basement, but on the other side of the house.

The really bizarre thing is if I open both of those shut-off valves in the ceiling, the water gets lukewarm in the basement AND the rest of the house. If just one side is open, the rest of the house is unaffected.

This problem has me quite puzzled and I wanted to ask for some advice before I began chopping out drywall to see if there the hot and cold water lines were crossed.

Re: Hot/Cold water issue
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

There is a direct cross connection between the hot and cold piping somewhere after the shutoff valves. If the tub or shower has a valve roughed in but not trimmed and has a test plug where the cartridge should go, then theres the point of cross over.

Re: Hot/Cold water issue
Author: packy (MA)

sounds like recirculation line problem. i'm guessing someone put a check valve in the wrong location ???

Great advice, thank you! clap
Author: john5 (VA)

Great advice, thank you! That is exactly what it was! I just assumed there was a cartridge there separating the lines. I found the cartridge for it however, installed it, and now all of the water is running normally. Thanks again!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.