Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Remodel Shower stall center drain rough in dimensions
Author: Stoker (MO)

Finishing bedroom and bathroom in basement. Builders had forethought to place everything I need (in concrete) for vanity, toilet and shower even going so far as to label them on concrete basement wall. After roughing in for the four bathroom walls the floor drain to be used for the shower is located exactly 18" on center from bottom plate that I plan to make the back wall of the shower. Seemed a natural fit for a 36" deep shower with a width to be determined. Seemed I could get off easy by adding the two roughed in sidewalls and call it a day. Trouble is most of the 36" deep multi piece kits the drain states centered but it is indeed 15 inches give or take from the back wall. Thought to add another bottom plate for back wall but that would place the center of the floor drain at 14.5 inches on center with the shower pan opening at 15.75 inches. To boot the 36 x 36 center drain kits I have looked at are centered at 18 inches left to right. Again the 36 inch deep seems a natural fit as the end product would be approximately 16 inches from the center of the toilet flange, a nice comfortable distance. If I simply turn the shower opening/shower pan to make use of the 18 inch center left to right it would make the side shower wall uncomfortably close to the toilet. Racking my brains for ideas. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

Re: Remodel Shower stall center drain rough in dimensions
Author: packy (MA)

you have to do some busting of the floor to remove the floor drain and replace with a straight pipe. just break a little deeper and add a couple of street 22's...

Author: hj (AZ)

The drain is centered between the back wall and the "step", not the front of the stall which is why you are off.Either move the drain or move the wall. Putting the "doorway" on the side next to the toilet would make it "uncomfortable" to use.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you already have a concrete floor, you could easily make a custom mud shower pan if you wanted tile instead of a pre made surround.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.