Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 indoor well pump/impeller
Author: mysticman4u (CT)

My ex-girlfriends house is about 45-50 years old and has a well. It has a pump motor with impeller in the cellar. Recently she didn't have any water and called a plumber, who replaced the bladder tank, pressure switch, pump and all associated plumbing. a week and a half later and she comes home and the smoke alarm is going off and the circuit breaker is tripped. She tried resetting the breaker and turning the pump on and got a loud hum and the pump didn't run and she doesn't have water again and can't get the plumber to answer her calls. So she called me and I told her I suspect it was the impellor in the pump (which I suspected the first time) or a problem in the well. The well water has a brownish algae like stuff that grows in the toilet if it isn't flushed in a long time. Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Re: indoor well pump/impeller
Author: m & m (MD)

Way too little information to make an accurate call but it is doubtful that the pump, being new, is at fault. With two pumps biting the dust (although the new one should be repairable) I am suspicious of the water supply in the well OR the possibility of a leak in the water distribution that is depleting the well.

Thank you for your reply smile
Author: mysticman4u (CT)

Thank you for your reply. She said pump was not running contiously so I didn't think leak. Do wells go dry in the winter? The well is 144 ft deep.

Edited 2 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Wells typically don't recede in the winter months. There may be a well-side issue (mechanical) that needs to be investigated.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I would be concerned that there may be a wiring or power supply issue as well at this point. If there was initially a power problem that caused the pump problem, and with the smoke alarm going off, I would be especially cautious about wiring damage. Damaged insulation, rodent damage, undersized wiring to begin with, or something similar could be at fault; if not before, it may be an issue now. Get it inspected by a licensed electrician and get the approval in writing.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.