Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 No Corrode flux
Author: sum (FL)

I am running out the little can of NoCorrode flux I have.

I went to the local Home Centers they don't carry it anymore.

I remember when I first started to learn to solder a few years back I tried the lead free flux and couldn't get good results, then as soon as someone suggested I use the old NoCorrode product it solved my problem.

Now I would like a new can of this and I couldn't find it at the big box stores. I went to a local plumbing supply store and they don't have that either, they said all they have is the new water based lead free stuff.

Can I still get it somewhere or is it now a banned product?

By the way that plumbing supply store I went to had a ladle hanging on the wall, the guy said it's been there for over 15 years and they have not had sold one and he hasn't seen anyone buying anything having to do with pouring a lead joint, he said I look too young for someone who knows what it's intended for...I told him I might buy it one day to figure out if pouring an upside down lead joint is myth or mystery. laughing

Re: No Corrode flux
Author: hj (AZ)

quote .I told him I might buy it one day to figure out if pouring an upside down lead joint is myth or mystery. laughing

Well, it is NOT a myth, IF you pour it right side up and then turn the fitting over. Otherwise save your money.

Author: m & m (MD)

I cut my teeth on No Corrode but haven't used it for years. I use Oatey # 5 flux and it's all that No Corrode was.
Local legend has it that one of the DuPonts insisted on having a chimney built from the top down for his house. Of course, he was told that it couldn't be done. He insisted that it could be and was willing to pay the price to have it done. Don't know the outcome.

Author: packy (MA)

m & m, actually a chimney can be built from the top down.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

[www.rectorseal.com]

=======================

Plbg.com ad:

It's available from our main sponsor:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you can find it, bridgit paste flux works extremely well and doesn't blacken. [www.harrisproductsgroup.com]

Author: m & m (MD)

I'm sure it, like anything, can be done if the price is right.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

One of our local plumbing supply stores has NoKorrode flux. I can get you some if you really need it.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

pouring a joint upside down is no myth....you pack in your okum,then take a rope runner and wrrap it around the joint and secure with the clamp that come with it.then take plumbers putty and build a funnel sticking out a little from the running rope.then take your molten lead and pour into the funnel.remove the rope runner then use the approprate caulking irons to set lead...all done smiling smiley

Author: packy (MA)

besides the asbestos rope i have a metal clamp with a rubber seal built into it. it is for pouring sideways joints. i have never used it for upsidedown because i have never done an upsidedown joint.
putty for a funnel?? interesting. i might try it when i'm bored..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

don't forget to drill the air relief hole

the upside-down joints were commonly used for return bends on roof vents to prevent 'broomstick' vandalism

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.