Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 not enough hot water during the winter
Author: Lipwak (NY)

Hi,

I have a oil-fired boiler, an American Standard DP 95/DP 105. that heats the hot water for my shower and the baseboard heating. No water tank or any other reserve for the hot water to accumulate.

I've been living in this garage apartment, on the second floor, for 12 years now. Two years ago I had the oil company that maintains the boiler turn down the temperature so that I wouldn't get scalded which I had been dealing with for that long. That winter I started running out of hot water to shower so I called them back to raise it. They did a little but it was still insufficient. It is now back to 180, which is hot but with adjusting the cold water, I can get a good temperature. The trouble is, it doesn't last very long.

Did they change something else? I'm wary to ask as they just want to sell my landlady a new boiler and will charge to come over again. Why am I running out of hot water now and I didn't two years ago?

You should know the first floor is unheated and the pipes don't seem to be insulated so I can understand that with these really cold temps, that water going up to the second floor will get chilled. The heat from the boiler is enough to keep some plants warm enough all winter long so it doesn't get too cold down there.

Thanks for any help. I do appreciate it and would be happy to add any needed info.

Cheers,

John

Re: not enough hot water during the winter
Author: packy (MA)

if the water at the faucets is too hot you don't lower the boiler water temperature, you adjust the tempering valve.
chances are the internal tankless coil that produces hot water can not kep up with the cold incoming water. it needs to be chemically cleaned or replaced or a storage tank added to it.

Thank you smile

Thank you. I'll ask them about doing that when they come by for the annual maintenance in May or so.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

You are asking questions that cannot be answered without a personal inspection and testing of your system.

The oil company comes by every year for an annual maintenance, probably in May or so. I'll mention it to them again, though the response I usually get is, the unit is old and needs to be replaced.

Author: m & m (MD)

Any oil boiler made by American Standard is old. As packy pointed out, you probably have a fouled tankless coil, or tempering valve that no longer responds correctly to temperature.

Author: packy (MA)

i usually find that tempering valves foulup and let the domestic water get waaaay toooo hot.

I think I have found a work-around. I changed the shower head and now use one that I can control better, and have reduced the flow. In today's test I got hot water through shampooing which has been iffy this and the last two winters. I've had it on full-flow up 'til now. I guess I can live with less pressure if that will guarantee me more hot water...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.