Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Valve ID
Author: Shellyisme (OR)

Well my hubby re-tiled the shower with a friend but he tiled around the shower valve hole so tight I can't see in to see what it looks like inside to try to identify it. I cleaned putty out of it the best I could but the cement board behind the tile is cut close. He also threw away the old shower valve and it's been hauled off already.
The one we had was a pull for water, turn to left for hotter and right for colder. It was a clear plastic knob and the knob had a center piece that would pop out and had a flathead screw inside.
Here's some blurry pictures of the knob, the plumbing when the old wall came out and two of what it looks like now. Please help ID it. I bought a Pfister Universal Tub and Shower set to put in!

Thanks Shelly

Re: Shower Valve ID
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I'd bet it's a Moen. The top clip is the give-away. I think you meant to say that hubby threw away the knob and trim kit. The valve is still inside the wall. Call Moen (1-800-289-6636) for parts or check your local big box store for a Moen trim kit. However, in order to mount the round cover plate you will need to cut or nibble the backer board and maybe some of the tile out to expose the threaded holes on the sides of the valve body to secure the long screws that hold the cover plate on.

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

if someone had the wall open and left what appears to be galvanized pipe in the wall, you should kick them.

Author: packy (MA)

i would go one step further than KC but forum decorum prevents me.
also, as fixitangel posted, it is a moen chateau and trim is easily gotten. some holes will have to be made in order to install the trim.

Thank you so much! big grin

Thank you so much! I bought a Pfister Universal Trim set and from what you guys said I believe I have to use the Moen Standard adapter set. I'm installing a Pfister single control and after a dry fit I think I'v got it.

I'm no plumber by any means I've changed kitchen and bathroom faucets and switched out toiler kit. Hubby just helps when asked. I like to learn though so please school me.
Galvanized pipes not good? Why?

Edited 3 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

galvanized is good for a time until internal corrosion causes it to corrode shut. You end up having a pipe that looks good on the outside, and has a space the size of 3 toothpicks inside for water to flow. And then when something shocks the pipes, chunks of rust can break free and jam up valves, shower heads, etc. and cause a lot of headaches. Finally, it corrodes at the threads and you are forced to tear out your newly remodeled bathroom a second time to fix what could have taken an extra hour to completely replace the first time.

So what is recommended in place of galvanized then?

Author: packy (MA)

copper tubing or pex..

Thanks! I'll let my hubby know.

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless you change the whole house, there may be little value in just replacing the piping to the shower valve.

Thank you all for your input! applause

After the new shower handle trim was finally installed (that was a learning experience and a long story)I turned the water on (no other trim installed yet) and nasty orange water with lots of sediment came out. It took a couple minutes to totally flush out too. We do have well water bit it's not that bad at all! After that I so want to go with a different type of pipe. I am happy to say that we did discover the water lines to washing machine are copper.
Thank you all for your input! I'll keep this page book marker for future questions!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.