Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower drain vent advice
Author: azkevman (AZ)

I am doing my first major remodel and moving and enlarging my shower. I thought I was done with the plumbing but then happened upon a thread discussing how a vent cannot run horizontal under the floor. This is currently how I have it plumbed to hit an existing vent up through the roof. Looking for some expert advice to get it right before I have it inspected.
The new shower area is surrounded on 3 sides by vents, but I was planning on utilizing what was previously the washer drain vent for the shower drain. The problem is my drain line runs down to the 1st level basically in the middle of the room, so hitting a vent on the way to the drain line seems hard.
When I submitted my plans to the city I showed running a vent line opposite the drain line to hit the vent and they approved the permit, so I thought I was good to go...

I did receive some feedback on another forum that the sani-tee tying the vent in now needs to be replaced with a wye and 45, which I can easily do if I stick with this configuration...

Re: Shower drain vent advice
Author: packy (MA)

yeah, change the san tee and 90 to a "Y" and 45. you are good to go.
do you have 1/2 pex feeding 2 shower valves? you are probably OK if you are using conventional shower heads. but if you are using a rainhead and you want both at the same time, you might want to run 3/4 and branch off 1/2 inch to each.

Thanks Packy. Yes I had planned on running a rain head which is dropping from the ceiling and a regular shower head in the wall. My copper supply line into this location is only 1/2", so running 3/4" up to the location would be a pretty big job it seems. I do have those other 1/2" lines straight ahead that are capped off, but they just tee off the same line I've connected my pex to, so I don't imagine that will help to tie into those much.

Author: m & m (MD)

Nothing wrong with leaving the tee and ell as is. More importantly, the tee must be rolled up on a 45* angle or greater to the axis of the drain pipe since it is not washed.

Author: steve (CA)

Is the 90* at the bottom of the vent stack a long turn 90*? A sanitary tee can't be on it's back and is that 90* attached to the tee a "vent 90*"? All vent piping installed below the flood level of the fixture needs to be installed as "drainage piping". So all fittings need to be one suitable for drainage.

Ok, how's this...I have changed out the San tee with a wye and 45, and then used double 45's off the trap. Problem now is I've lost my slope on my vent. I do need to move the wye and trap downstream about 6" now so that will give some slope back, but I'm worried it won't be enough. Would I be better off tying into the vent on the left? That is the vent from the kitchen sink on the 1st level.

Is the 90* at the bottom of the vent stack a long turn 90*?

It's not a long 90, but it's not a vent 90 under there either...its a regular 90 elbow

Author: steve (CA)

Vertical to horizontal change of direction on drainage piping requires long turn.

Thanks big grin

Author: steve (CA)
Vertical to horizontal change of direction on drainage piping requires long turn.

Oh, ok...thanks. That may make hitting the correct slope on the vent even more difficult as the long 90 will lower the connection point unless I can get it up in the wall high enough...

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

you only need one 45 near the trap. you can svivel the trap 90 to 45 deg.
also, if you want you can vent into the kitchen vent that is off to the side.

Author: hj (AZ)

Using a street 45 into the "Y" will gain some room. You are making your trap connection more difficult than it has to be. Just use ONE 45 and rotate the trap so it angles into it.

Ah thank you both! that makes sense. clap

Author: packy (MA)
you only need one 45 near the trap. you can swivel the trap 90 to 45 deg.

Author: hj (AZ)
Using a street 45 into the "Y" will gain some room. You are making your trap connection more difficult than it has to be. Just use ONE 45 and rotate the trap so it angles into it.

Ah thank you both! that makes sense. I'll do this and see where that gets me...

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.