Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 adding Main Stack drain - Fernco fitting
Author: J Blow (SD)

I've attached a picture of what I want to tap into - it's a 3 inch main coming from the ground floor into the basement. This is in the basement. I want to add the fitting in the picture a few inches above the clean out. Since the stack won't move, I need to add a rubber Fernco (stainless steel covered) boot inline.

A few questions:

1) Does the boot go above or below the fitting?

2) Can I use a section of the pipe I cut out to glue into the fitting in order to attach the rubber boot to it...or does it need to be an unused section of pipe? Seems basic but just being sure.

3) The fernco fitting actually says it is to go between cast iron and plastic but both ends look identical and this is the one I was told to use at the supply store. Is that an issue?

Thanks.

Re: adding Main Stack drain - Fernco fitting
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

1. Either is fine, but it your case I'd put it above.
2. Yes.
3. It'll be fine.
When you make the cut, you can pull the upper section away from the wall enough so that you can glue the tee on the lower section, and then reconnect with the banded coupling.

Author: hj (AZ)

1. Maybe both depending on whether the pipe will deflect enough to install the tee

Really wish I would have read this last reply before the install. I got it in there and it doesn't leak but it was a tight squeeze. The pipes also aren't butted up against the seat on the rubber gasket. Things seem fine, though. Thoughts?

Author: steve (CA)

Did you prime the PVC joints, before gluing them?

Yes

Now, the question is, "What is that connection for", because it may NOT be the correct one, since it is not the fitting shown in your original picture.

It's for a bar sink...about 10 feet away.

uh-oh.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

You will need to replace your installed "Y" fitting with a 'sanitary tee' (the first pic).

As is, you have created an 'S' trap because the 'drop' is more than the water seal of the 'P' trap at the fixture.

smiling smiley oops smiling smiley

to err is human

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

If the main stack is for drainage of the floor(s) above, that branch you added can't use the main stack as it's vent and will need to have a separate vent installed. This new vent can usually tie into existing venting, with some limitations.

I'm tied into the vent already - there was a stub hanging from above near the other stub outs in the basement floor clearly meant to be the bathroom. That vent now has a tub, and dual lav as well as this sink on it. The toilet is wet vented from the dual lav drain.

I don't feel all that great about the way this drain doesn't seat against the rubber lip anyway so I'll probably redo it and add a second fernco with the first fitting. The stack won't budge an inch and I'm a little unclear how to gain enough space...even with two rubber boots. Is it ok if the pvc isn't almost butting up against each other in this boot? Seems like it should rest on that inner lip...Maybe it can get real close with the cut made just slightly bigger than the fitting (with the pvc glued in on top and bottom of fitting) and the rubber not rolled back.

as long as you have a "properly installed" vent it should be okay. You make the insertion "spool" slightly shorter than the opening and slide it in, the secure the couplings.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

if you don't have any play in the stack, you probably have the connection you describe as good as it is going to get.
leave it alone and enjoy life..

'Properly installed vent'...LOL. One of many things I don't know.

The sink going into the pictured stack has a vent that that ties into a vent line above where the picture was shot from. Just to the right of this stack (other side of wall) is a tub/shower with a 1.5 inch vent pipe. That runs directly to the stub hanging from the ceiling. The vent for bar sink to the left of the stack taps into this tub/shower vent before it joins the stub.

Theoretically speaking, inspection won't be part of this final process - function is key....if that helps.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.