Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Weird Shower Drain Issue
Author: mikepetrat73 (MI)

Okay, In the last couple of days my shower will fill up with water and it will not drain. But after I remove the water with a suction tool that I have, it will work great. My son took a shower last night no issues. I jump in the shower this morning and it fills up with water. I again remove the water and it works fine. I ran the water for 15 minutes both times with no issues. I feel that it is a air lock issue but I have never had any issues till now. Everything else in that bathroom works great. What are your thoughts?/

Re: Weird Shower Drain Issue
Author: packy (MA)

temporarily remove the cover that has little round holes in it. try that being careful not to drop anything down the drain. see what happens.

Author: srloren (CA)

I suppose it could be air locked. Is it an addition to the original home? Is the home older when they were using cast iron pipe? It was not as smooth as ABS pipe. It could that it is not properly vented. If you don't have a plumbers snake, you can purchase a drain balloon from Home Depot. (about $9.00 I think) It fits on the end of a garden hose. Remove the hair screen and place this balloon down inside the pipe farther than the length of the balloon and have a window open so you can shout for your helper to turn on the water but be prepared to turn it off immediately. Your water pressure should clear the drain. Don't leave the water on too long or you could be backing up into your tub, depending on whee in the line the you insert the balloon. But a plumbers snake works best. Before you attempt doing this check out your roof for vents to try to determine which way your drain travels, how far it is to a 3" line and where the water would go if you left it on too long. If you have a clean out at the front of your home open it to see if you can hear the water draining. Other than that call your favorite plumber.

Author: packy (MA)

quote.. I ran the water for 15 minutes both times with no issues.
i highly doubt there could be a stoppage if he ran the water for 15 minutes...

Author: mikepetrat73 (MI)

I ran the snake down which I forgot to mention in my post with negative results.. It has not been doing it the last few days and there is no way I can get on the roof due to the -14 degree weather we are having.. Its a newer home so it is PVC pipe to the roof. It will have to wait till spring before I get up on the roof.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I have seen this happen in floor drains when it has a backwater ball that keeps sticking, but never a shower that wasn't full of hair.

Author: hj (AZ)

You ARE describing an "air lock" caused by a double trap in the line, but cannot tell you what is causing it, since it can happen for other reasons than just 2 "P" traps in series.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.