Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water meter stop ticking, no running water
Author: timtran (FL)

Hi everyone, I have some problems with my water system and think I can get some help or at least some ideas of what's going on. So I turned off the water last night ( main valve just right outside of the house ) for bathroom remodeling, when I turn on the main valve this morning, there is no water running and the water meter also stop ticking. I know i paid my bill, or is it because of the low pressure, water running just fine last night before i turn it off. Thanks for nay suggestions.

Re: water meter stop ticking, no running water
Author: hj (AZ)

When you turned the water off, or maybe when you turned it back on, the valve broke and has to be replaced.

Thank you for replying so fast big grin
Author: timtran (FL)

you're right, it's broke, so I have to change the new one, thank you for replying so fast.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

My guess is you closed a "gate" type valve at your house, NOT the shut-off at the meter which needs a "curb-key" to close. The gate in your valve is stuck in the closed position, and the the stem seperated from it.

Author: packy (MA)

i believe they call those horrible inventions NRS. non rising stem..
the gate has female thrads inside it and the male threads on the stem force it up and down while the stem sinply rotates and stays in palce.
doesn't take much wear and tear for the threads to stop engaging and simply spin.
been there, done that..

Author: hj (AZ)

IT is not usually "wear and tear" but deterioration of the "brass" at the gate. It usually shears off right above the gate.

Author: packy (MA)

i've seen both. sheared off and (ususally) male threads worn away enough to slip around..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.