Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leak in stack vent (inside a wall)
Author: grrretl (IL)

Would appreciate some help. smiling smiley

Have a house built in 1960. There is a stack vent that goes from the basement (unfinished) into the wall of the main floor, then, up the attic and the roof. The house is very small, at 30' wide (front/back), and 22' deep (sides).

Was getting something from the basement, and felt a couple drops of water on my head. Looked up, and could see some water drops hanging from the wood above. There was a small opening (about 2 inches) in the area, and could see pink insulation. Touched it, and it was soaking wet.

Made the hole larger (about 5" x 5"winking smiley and some of the insulation dropped to the cement floor. Pulled out some more wet insulation, until I got to a point where it was dry, and also pulled it away from the stack vent. Taped 2 pieces of paper towel around the PVC pipe which is about 5" in diameter. One piece covers the left half of the pipe above the wood (inside the wall) the other piece was taped on the right side of the pipe, below the wood, visible in the basement. This morning both pieces were wet.

From what I have read, the flashing on the roof could be the culprit, or, maybe there is a joint somewhere in the PVC pipe. Got new roof about 3 years ago from a very reputable company. I am sure they will come and check the flashing, however, my concern is that the leak may be coming from a joint inside the wall. The PVC pipe from the basement to the roof is at least 20' in length. It is probably not a continuous piece.

How can one find out if there is a joint or not? How can I fix the pipe joint inside the wall, if one exists?

Thanks again!

Re: Leak in stack vent (inside a wall)
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Check the vent flashing/rubber boot first and make sure it's water-tight. If any water is sneaking in thru the roof seal, it will run downhill and can drip off some distance away from the vent exit.

Thanks for the reply! smiling smiley

I will call the roofer this coming week.

In the meantime, I am concerned about all the moisture dripping from the basement boards above my head. This issue may have been going on for a while. Some of the boards were spongy when I tried cutting them off...

Author: m & m (MD)

Step 2 would be to make a careful check of any toilets that are in-line with the stack (close).

Agree with M & M, check toilet seals. Step 3 would be to go into the attic to check the vent pipe joints for any failures.. I had one where the vent run was off-set, and the pipe had separated at one of the 90's. Water ran down inside a bathroom wall.

My general approach is to start checking things from the top down; use the least destructive method to open inpection holes, don't forget to check tub/shower drains and do a static pressure test of the water supply system.. could be a pin-hole leak on the supply side somewhere.

P.S. the sure-fire method is to cut out sheetrock and inspect every joint and connection, but that would be the LAST resort.

Good Hunting!

Author: packy (MA)

does the water have a urine smell to it?
does it contain any soapy/ cloudy looking water?
if not, it could be a water pipe???

Author: hj (AZ)

IT would have to be a very bad break in the pipe for it to leak. Where is the water coming from? Is it raining where you are?

Thanks all for your thoughts and help! smiling smiley

Thanks all for your thoughts and help!

m & m,

The toilet has a pipe that goes down and meets the stack vent about a foot (+/-) below in the basement. There is no water coming from there.

Fixitangel,

How can I do a static pressure test of the water supply sytem?

Also, on cutting out sheetrock and inspecting every joint and connection...do you mean those joints that connect to the stack vent? If so, the joint to the tub/shower, toilet, and whatever else, appear to all be within sight in the basement.

If there is a joint in the stack vent somewhere between the basement and the roof, it would be somewhere inside the wall between the bathroom and the kitchen. That seems to be the 'hub'.

packy,

No smell, no soapy cloudy water...

All the pipes lead to the basement, and they do not look as if they are leaking.

hj,

Have no clue where the water is coming from, just see wet on the stack vent as I look at it from the basement.

It snowed here last Tuesday/Wednesday, and that is when I felt a couple of drops on my head, after the snow melted Wednesday afternoon. However, the wood surrounding the stack vent, as well as the insulation, were sopping wet. Some of the wood was kind of spongy. It just seems as if this has been going on for a while.

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Is the attic accessible, to see if the water came down from the roof flashing?

Quote: How can I do a static pressure test of the water supply sytem?

Easy. Before going to bed, turn off the cold supply valve to your washer, disconnect the hose, and put a pressure gauge on it, open the valve. Make sure everybody in the house is not using any water overnight, and no toilets are leaking. Note the pressure reading. If you are on city water, shut off your main valve. If on a well, there should be a main shut off valve after your pressure tank or any water filtration/water softener (if installed) close it. Check the gauge first thing in the morning. It should be the same (allow 2 psi for thermal expansion/contraction). If not, there's a little leaky somewhere.

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

"No smell, no soapy cloudy water..."
OK. so now pour some food coloring into each drain one at a time. run some water and look for the color.

steve,

Good suggestion, but, at my age, climbing up in the attic through a door on the hallway ceiling is not exactly...
Will ask the roofer to do so. He knows what he is looking for. Calling him today.

Fixitangel,

Makes sense, but, my knowledge of pressure gauges is zero. However, will ask the plumber to do so.

packy,

Now, that one I can do. Going to the grocery store today. Will pick up some food coloring and test each drain. Will also get some blue stuff for the toilet.

No luck with food coloring. Guessing it is not a problem with the drains?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.