Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Residental Well issue/pump check valve
Author: Mpdrac (NJ)

Recently had a well company out because I've had pressure problems, air in the line specifically from the hot water side early in the morning when using the shower or faucets. Ive heard some banging from the pipes under the house at times also. Bladder tank, pressure relief valve have all been replaced within the last 5 years. When they came out they said it appears to be the check valve on the well pump. Well is approximately 29 years old and it appears the previous homeowners might have replaced the pump at some point because there is a PVC riser where the well is located to easily access the pump. Houses in the area didn't have the risers and more than likely installed afterwards. When the well people opened the cap they informed me it was a "Metal well" not a plastic lined or another type. I'm not expert on wells so i have no idea what he meant. He said 30 years ago metals wells were more common and not drilled that way anymore. He suggested a new well becuase if they started to pull the pump chances are i would have a major problem and be stuck without water for awhile. Can anyone tell me what exactly is a metal well and if what he was telling me makes sense? My thinking is why can't he just pull the pump out and replace if need be? When I opened the cap I see PVC go down about 3 feet then what appears to be metal casing with a metal object in the middle of the casing. Thanks in advance.

Re: Residental Well issue/pump check valve
Author: hj (AZ)

I assume he meant a steel pipe well casing, which was the standard years ago, but since I have not had any experience with wells lately, may not be the current way of doing it. If the casing has rust or a buildup in it, the pump may get stuck while pulling it and that is what they are concerned about. BUT, until they actually try to pull it, you will not know if it is a factor or not. An unethical well company might "try" to have a problem pulling it so they can drill a new well, which is more profitable than just replacing a pump.

Author: m & m (MD)

Your original well casing (steel) did not extend above grade. It was extended above grade with the addition of the PVC pipe and a pitless adaptor installed at that time. What is the size of the PVC pipe?

Thanks for reply smile

Thanks for reply. Yes, it appears to be a metal casing all the way down and that was there concern if they tried to pull the pump and couldn't I could be without water until they pulled permits for a new well. There concern also was it being metal and the rust factor or peace of mind knowing the way they do wells now the quality is better and access to the pump is easier. I guess its risk factor to try and hope the pump comes up and if not, I would need a new well. I have no way of knowing either how old the well pump is but, if I had to guess between 10-15 years if it had been replaced.

Edited 2 times.

The PVC Cap pipe that extends down is failry big, looks to be at least 2 inches. I have to check. The guy told me I might have a 1 hp motor, but Im not sure how he knows that.

I'm referring to the size of the PVC pipe above ground. The well guys have a legitimate concern if you are on a 'sand' well. They can lock the pump up and create the scenario you describe- at that point it becomes a new well. Southern NJ is probably mostly sand. Central to north NJ becomes rock at some point.

The PVC riser from where the metal casing starts to about a foot above grade looks to be 2 1/2-3 inches around. I live central/South jersey (Ocean County) so I'm assuming a sand well. Take the chance or not to I guess I have to decide.

It's probably a 4" well; a submersible pump won't fit in anything smaller.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.