Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathtub Drain Lever
Author: drod2070 (CA)

I have been trying to replace my bathtub drain/drain lever as a combo since both pieces were heavily corroded and I have had issue after issue. I was able to finally remove the drain even though the cross members or 'x' at the base of the drain had completely broken away. I tried using a Dremel as well as a hacksaw but felt that I may end up causing more damage than I ever want to so I came upon the idea of using a socket wrench and from now on, I will swear by this method. I simply went to the auto parts store and bought a socket that fit into the drain perfectly and then I also purchased some J B Weld adhesive and let it set over night and the drain came out with ease. Then I had issues with the drain lever/overflow with the two screws that hold the cover for the lever. The screw on the left would NOT budge and I finally was able to get the one on the right to move and it actually snapped while unscrewing it. After many trips back and forth to Home Depot, they told me that my best option would be to drill the screw head out and use vise grips and remove the screw(s) at that point. So now, I am stuck with the screw on the left is giving me about 3/4" of threaded shaft to work with and the one on the right is giving me about 1/4" to work with. I can't get either one to move a millimeter and I have lubricated the screws using PB Penetrating Catalyst and still nothing. Any miracle lubricant or tools that anyone can suggest?

Re: Bathtub Drain Lever
Author: packy (MA)

yikes, steel screws on a tub overflow.
do you have or can you make access from behind the tub end?

Author: hj (AZ)

If you can heat the bolt and its socket with a torch, without damaging the tub, it should come out.

Unfortunately this is a condo and no I have NO chance to get behind the tub...

someone suggested heating the bolt to me earlier and I will see how that goes for me...I will post result...

Author: TNPlumber (TN)

could you possibly get a nut on whats left of threads? If so then a new tub waste and overflow kit will have a bar that goes over those two holes to adapt to a and new overflow plate uses a center hole to hold it on. This of course if you are going w a lift and turn type drain and not the old style you have now. Just a thought since your in a pickle there -

The bar would be thicker than those two studs are long so they would not project out of it.

I don't have access to any heat source hotter than a hair dryer and so I did give it a shot and I didn't expect any miracles and sure enough it didn't work. My neighbor is in construction and he said that he might be able to look at it this weekend and hopefully he can at least advise me looking at this first hand as to what my step needs to be...

thanks for the advice thumbs

The screw on the right snapped giving me about 1/4" and I don't think that I can get a bolt to even begin to attach to it but a neighbor that is in construction said that he might be able to look at it this weekend and looking at it first hand, he might be able to either help or advise me as to what my next step needs to be...thanks for the advice...

Edited 1 times.

Re: thanks for the advice thumbs
Author: KCRoto (MO)

You need something as hot as propane at a minimum, but you are more at risk of damaging the tub with the high heat. Your best option is to open the wall with permission from your neighbor and replace the drain. If you can't use that option, then you can try using a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and cutting a flat slot in the screws and use a heavy screwdriver and a pair of pliers for torque and attempt to get them moving; either way it doesn't matter. If need be, drill out the center of the screws and attempt to get the rest of the rust/screw out of the threads. If you had to you could get a tap of the same size as the replacement BRASS screws and retap the holes. I would really consider replacing the drain through the wall with your neighbor's permission and pay to repair the wall. All of this work could be compromising the piping below depending on the materials, and may cause a leak if there were corroded spots on the brass tubular portions prior to starting this project.

Re: thanks for the advice thumbs

The way units ar often laid out, there is a very good chance that the neighbor's bath is back to back with his and that tub is opposite this one.

A neighbor began turning the screw that had more to grab and upon turning it, the remaining threads from the drilled out screw snapped so that are just too rusty to remove and now this is going to become a big pain in the ass and I will have to contact a plumber. Thanks to all that offered their assistance in this...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.