Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking drain behind tile wall.
Author: LazyKB (WV)

Hello this is my first post. I would appreciate any ideas or tips on the following project.

I have a leak from a bathroom sink drain inside the wall. The sink hangs on metal lip attached to the wall and the plumbing is exposed. The wall itself is tile. On the other side of the wall is another bathroom with the same tile. I have removed the sink and believe the leak is in the copper pipe immediately behind the connection to the chrome piping. This copper pipe takes a ninety degree turn to the left. I think the leak is in the bend of the ninety. My only experience in this type of repair was on a straight run of exposed copper drain in the basement. I cut out a length of copper and replaced it with plastic using a rubber boot with “pipe clamps” (metal bands that tighten with screwdriver or wrench). My intentions are to remove enough tile and wallboard to get at the copper, saw through it with a hacksaw blade, replace the ninety with plastic, and connect with another rubber boot. How am I doing so far? Please comment.

I am perplexed as how to repair the wall after testing new plumbing for leaks. I am pretty sure I am going to break the 60 year old tiles. I am not quite sure if new ones will match. Is white pretty much white? How do I cut the hole for the drain pipe? I am not very good at dry walling and have never tiled anything. Since the wall will be visible I would like for it to look presentable. Ideas here?

I have considered installing a small vanity that would cover the repair, approximately $100. I assume I would still want to close the hole in the wall with something? The floor of the vanity will force me to make some adjustments to the supply lines coming up through the bathroom floor. (both of these lines sprung leaks in the wall and rather than open the wall at that time I went through the floor and used stainless flexible supply lines as replacement.

All ideas are welcomed.

Re: Leaking drain behind tile wall.
Author: hj (AZ)

Usually, if one spot on a copper drain is 'bad' other sections are also, so you may have to replace more than you intend to.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If your drywall skills are poor, and tiling skills nonexistent, then I would suggest turning to a pro for this job. As Hj stated, if one spot is bad, there is probably more; it will probably have to be replaced all the way to the stack behind the toilet. You may end up having to replace all the tile on that wall if you want it to match after all is said and done. If the wall was constructed well, the tile won't come off without breaking.

Author: packy (MA)

open the wall and make your repair then go with the small vanity.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.