Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dropped 8k on job, now smell sewer in yard/house
Author: mijclarke (IL)

I thought my abandoned sewer line was causing my sump pit to smell awful but since the smell is continuously getting worse and my front yard smells like a wasteland I'm thinking I have a compromised connection in my new sewer line. There's a 5 foot piece of ductile metal exiting the front basement wall around waist height (buried a few feet underground). Then it connects to a section of PVC that includes a clean out. The PVC takes a 45 degree angle to the left to line up with the original clay? pipe (from 1953). The PVC travels down another 2 feet as the original clay pipe is buried deeper than the ductile metal section. PVC section is about 6 to 8 feet long. It's possible both connections are bad but it's seems the ductile metal to PVC would leach more into my drain tile based on closer proximity. I will try and post pics of the excavation they did last July.

I could do a dye test but don't want nasty green stuff pouring out my sump discharge onto my front walkway. I have a clean out right before it exits the basement wall so I could shine a flashlight and try and see the first connection area. I will definitely have the company come and try and fix with no/minimal charges but I'd like to have some proof of my problem so they are willing to come over pro bono. Any suggestions? Thanks

Re: Dropped 8k on job, now smell sewer in yard/house
Author: m & m (MD)

What is making your front yard 'smell like a wasteland' ? And how?

Edited 1 times.

Smell is very strong in my sump pit and the discharge exits to my front yard. I covered my pit quickly before leaving town but now that I'm back I need to seal it. Bought a standard cover from HD that didn't fit right, but it's keeping the smell to a minimum inside the house.

Author: m & m (MD)

I'm presuming the abandoned sewer line is still connected to the main and that is the source of the odor?

No the new sewer line is completely separate from the abondoned damaged section. There used to be a catch basin in my front yard but it was removed and now it's just pipe going to the street.

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless YOU know what the problem is or they can determine it, they are NOT going to do anything Pro Bono.

I didn't mean Pro Bono as in free I meant Pro Bono as in I hope the plumber is a U2 fan.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

that's funny.

doesn't sound like the sump is properly sealed. I would suggest you upload some pics of any visible plumbing for free advice right here.

is the sump vented?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.