Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water pressure problems
Author: Lucus86 (MI)

I've been having issues with water pressure dropping when another valve(ie. Faucet, shower, etc) is opened, now I know that the pressure should drop somewhat but say for example someone is taking a shower and someone turns the Faucet to get a glass of water-on the shower side the pressure drops dramatically and on the faucet end it comes out as a slow drizzle, ...

Some information on the plumbing setup and history- the house was built in 2000 just over 3500sq feet 2 story with walkout basement, we have a private well put in the same year as the house was built, (don't know what the specifics on the well pump are) we have a 50gal water heater, and a 80 gal well pressure tank that was installed in 2012(original wouldn't pressure for very long, well pump ran almost constantly when water was being used somewhere in house
Now before I call a plumber out to diagnose the issue is there some troubleshooting ideas I can try or any one has ideas as to what would cause such a loss in pressure

Re: Water pressure problems
Author: m & m (MD)

The system pressure is determined by the pressure switch in combination with the pressure tank so that would be your starting point.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd say that you have a volume issue rather than a pressure issue. If you have a water filter ,that should be checked.

Author: hj (AZ)

The pressure tank was probably NOT the original problem and may have been replaced needlessly. If the pump "runs continuously" then it does not have the capability of supplying enough water for your usage.

Author: m & m (MD)

I think the problem will be found to be a volume issue, but the starting point still should be at the beginning of the system (i.e., tank, switch).
The original tank probably was defective (internally, bad diaphragm) which caused a constant pump cycling every time water was drawn due to loss of air volume.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The pressure tank may be at fault this time as well. What are the pressure switch settings? Is there a gauge attached so that you can monitor the pressure drop as the system is in operation? If you turn off the power to the pump, let the water run until it stops and then check the pressure inside the pressure tank, what is the reading? when you take the pressure reading from the tank, does water start leaking out the valve stem?

Author: Lucus86 (MI)

I told my dad about the filter ( he said it hasn't been changed in a while so we put a new one in this morning) could of been our problem. The settings on the pressure switch are 60/40 when the pressure drops below 40 the pump turns on once in gets back up to 60 it shuts off so I don't think it's the switch, tomorrow morning when I take a shower i will open a faucet or 2 to see if the filter was the issue

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.